2001 E350 5.4 V8 P0171 and P0174 Check Light. Rough idle as well. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 23:37   #1 (permalink)

2001 E350 5.4 V8 P0171 and P0174 Check Light. Rough idle as well.

I have a 2001 E350 5.4 V8 15-Passenger Van. The other week I had a bad coil pack. I went in and removed it but while I was at it I went in and changed all the plugs. I removed the Fuel Rail and the ejectors to clean them while I was at it. I replaced all the o-rings on the ejectors the one that goes into the manifold and the one that goes into the rail. The van drove fine for about 35-45 Miles and then this code came up. I have ScanXL on my laptop so I am able to connect and read the codes. There is also an issue when I start it that It will start and then the idle will drop to around 100RPM and then will jump to around 700-800RPM. After that it is fine. It does this if the engine is cold or hot. I haven't noticed anything wrong with driving the van. I was looking around and it looked like a Vacuum leak but none of the things that go wrong with a leek apply to the van. i.e - Brakes not working fully, Problems speeding up or the car feeling sluggish. None of this happens at all. The van drives just fine. It has around 200K miles on it. There is one other thing but I haven't been able to find anything on it. When I start the car and let it set parked with the A/C and Heat off. I hear what sounds like a whirling sound coming from the engine bay. I tried to locate it but I could find it. Does anyone know of what could cause this. Or where I should start looking?
mspearin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2013, 08:33   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2001 E350 5.4 V8 P0171 and P0174 Check Light. Rough idle as well.

There has to be a vacuum leak. It doesn't have to be large enough to cause the hard brake pedal to cause running problems. I'd check over where you were working to see what might have been knocked loose. How did you clean the fuel injectors? The fuel rail didn't have to be removed to do the coil or plugs. There may be a leak at the injectors too. They rarely have to be removed.
Old 05-20-2013, 19:38   #3 (permalink)

When I went to clean them I used a new toothbrush the soft kind and then I used fuel injector cleaner (The stuff that goes in the tank) and some gas. I put that in a bowl and then scrub them with the brush. I then used a little motor oil on the orings to make them a little easier to get them to slide into the rail. They where still very hard to push them into the manifold and and rail I had to use quite some force. Thats why I didn't think it could be the rail.
Old 05-20-2013, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Try spraying some water with a spray bottle in different areas to see if the id;e chanes. Or you could try this.
Old 05-20-2013, 21:01   #5 (permalink)

Alright thanks I am going to do it tomorrow afternoon when I get home from work. Hopefully I will be able to find the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks