'96 e250 codes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 18:25   #1 (permalink)

'96 e250 codes?

So a couple weeks ago I got some codes for my van. It's a 5.8l v8, automatic. It was starting to have a studder and would die as I coasted to a stop. I didn't get the numbers but the descriptions were:

o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
pw sensor bank 2 sensor 2
EGR flow insufficient
DPFE monitor low voltage

So I replaced the dpfe, found out the ref line was clogged, tried to clean it out with carb cleaner but didn't work. I couldn't get the egr valve off or the pipe from the egr valve to the exhaust manifold (long story). So when I tried the 2nd time I used some seafoam in the ref line to break the carbon off. I don't know if it worked yet but it did lead me to do the seafoam clean(1/2 bottle in manifold, 1/2 in oil, and 1 bottle in fuel tank)

After driving off the seafoam for about 15 minutes (no more smoke) I drove to advance and got codes again since my van was still diying at idle(but not as often, not sure it that was seafoam still in manifold or still same problem) the codes I got where...

p0171 bank 1 running lean
p0174 bank 2 running lean

So where do I go now? Advance auto guy suggested fuel filter or spark plugs and google. I plan to do the plugs and oil change in about 50-100 miles because of the seafoam
McStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '96 e250 codes?

You could have a vacuum leak or a dirty or defective MAF. Read these. OBD-II Trouble Code: P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1) OBD-II Trouble Code: P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2).
Old 05-12-2011, 06:15   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll check those things out.

The van runs fine except in idle. It won't idle until its warm and then it's a rough idle. (detonation/pre-ignition?) As soon as I put the gas on it seems to smooth right out.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Unplug the MAF and see how it runs. If it runs good, the MAF is dirty or defective.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:13   #5 (permalink)

The MAF passed all the voltmeter checks in the manual. I unpluged it but it still studdered along at idle. I guess vacumm or fuel pressure.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:22   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I'd look for a vacuum leak. maybe the PCV valve.
Old 05-13-2011, 21:25   #7 (permalink)

I picked up a new pcv valve when I changed the dpfe. How do I check for vaccum leaks though? What am I looking for that will point out where the leak is?
Old 05-13-2011, 22:25   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Look at all of the hoses attached to the intake. You can also spray some water from a spray bottle in variuos areas to see if the RPM changes. Direct a small stream to the locations. Carb cleaner works too, but it's easy to have a fire when the engine is hot.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks