99 E150 5.4L 02 sensors help needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2013, 14:25   #1 (permalink)

99 E150 5.4L 02 sensors help needed

Hi folks,
New problem on 1999 e150 5.4l, I am getting a P1151 code with the description "Lack of H02S21 switches sensor indicates lean" I did some searching on the subject but I can not find an specific answer to the VAN of the same engine and year, I think I will start here instead...

Number one, how many 02 sensors are there in this van? I can only find 3,,, 2 are on each side of the engine where the pipes come out and then the pipes join into 1 where the 3rd sensor is located towards the end of the tail pipe, did I miss one?
Number 2, 02 sensors are not exactly cheap so where is a good point to start based on the code? the 2 sensors by the engine are easy to access and look fairly good, the 3rd one is hard to get to and looks in the worse shape of all 3 so I am thinking that is the one that hasn't been replaced often...
Finally, I looked for oxygen sensor replacements and I get a few different one with different part numbers, can someone please point me in the right direction as to what each sensor part number is and which are the downstream/upstream etc.?

Any help as always is greatly appreciate it,,, Thanks in advance...
Dgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2013, 19:53   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 99 E150 5.4L 02 sensors help needed

Ford P1151 Lack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean The rear sensor only tells if the Cats are cleaning the exhaust and won't affect the fuel mixture.
Old 11-20-2013, 19:58   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert,
That page list a whole lot of probable causes... Where would you start?
Old 11-21-2013, 06:04   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Upstream are going to be the two sensors closest to the manifolds. One on each side. Downstream are the sensors after the catalytic converters. Those can be either one or two depending on how many and where the cats are. Sounds like your description you have one downstream. A down stream should not set a lack of switching code due to the fact it is not supposed to "switch" if the cat is functioning. For the code you have it doesn't necessarily mean the o2 is bad. I would actually be looking for a vacuum leak first. Check hoses close, air filter fit in the housing. Anything that can allow unmetered air after the MAF sensor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:59   #5 (permalink)

Excellent!,,, So the 2 in front are upstream,,, are those 2 the same as far as part numbers go? meaning can the same sensor be used to the left or to the right side?... I could replace them both since they are easier to access...
I will check for leaks as well...
one thing I should mention is that prior to this code, I had a cylinder 6 misfire code, what I did was I switched the plug and coil from 5 to 6 and vise versa to see if I would then get a cylinder 5 misfire assuming the coil or plug from 6 are bad,,, so far the misfire code has not appear and the only thing left is 02 sensors... I will make sure there are no leaks and perhaps replace the sensors and see what happens, thanks...

P.S. In what type of situation do the rear 02 sensors need to be replaced since they don't actually affect anything?
Old 11-21-2013, 20:05   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgames View Post
Excellent!,,, So the 2 in front are upstream,,, are those 2 the same as far as part numbers go? meaning can the same sensor be used to the left or to the right side?... I could replace them both since they are easier to access...
I will check for leaks as well...
one thing I should mention is that prior to this code, I had a cylinder 6 misfire code, what I did was I switched the plug and coil from 5 to 6 and vise versa to see if I would then get a cylinder 5 misfire assuming the coil or plug from 6 are bad,,, so far the misfire code has not appear and the only thing left is 02 sensors... I will make sure there are no leaks and perhaps replace the sensors and see what happens, thanks...

P.S. In what type of situation do the rear 02 sensors need to be replaced since they don't actually affect anything?
Not sure if the o2are same side to side. Some are some aren't. As far as the rear it can fail like a front but code definitions are different because they serve a different function

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 19:37   #7 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgames View Post
Depending on your state, could fail inspection on emissions.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks