99 E150 axle shaft confusion, 9.75 with 8.8 bearings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20   #1 (permalink)

99 E150 axle shaft confusion, 9.75 with 8.8 bearings

Hi all, I am having a heck of a time finding a replacement axle for my van.
I have a 1999 E150 5.4L with a locking 9.75" rear end, HOWEVER, the outer bearings on the rear axle shafts are 8.8" ring size bearings.
When ordering NEW parts from the auto parts stores (ANY) it automatically sets my ring size to 8.8", finally now that I need a new axle shaft, the 8.8" axles are not correct and there is NOT an option for 9.75 that will fit my van UNLESS order from ford parts directly at a very high price...

Part number: 4006
Part Description: (Sterling) 3.55 ratio, 9.75 gear size - locking; Use with axle #711A, PM711C (Rear)

Does anyone here know if there is an alternative aftermarket for this exact part?

And now time for the stupid question of the day...

Do the 9.75" axle shafts have the same diameter at the bearing point as the 8.8" shafts? meaning can 9.75" shafts actually fit all the way into an 8.8" bearing?

NO used or new part sales person has been able to answer that question and they all think there is something very wrong with my inteligence as they all claim that there is no way I can have a 9.75 rear end with 8.8 bearings on it... Well I do and now I just can't find a way out it.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

David A.
Dgames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2013, 20:55   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 99 E150 axle shaft confusion, 9.75 with 8.8 bearings

Try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a good used one.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:30   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

Can you post a picture of the tag or the numbers on the tag? Just to be sure you have a 9.75 axle. An 8.8 axle will not fit a 9.75 housing or vise-versa

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 13:03   #4 (permalink)

Solved, took a whole lot of calling stores and asking for actual dimensions of actual shafts until I got one close enough, funny thing is the shaft I used is for a completely different car, it is .25" shorter in length BUT that was the ONLY option available, Ford experts from different shops and Ford dealer shops could NOT solve the problem, they all kept referring me to the standard 8.8" shaft... Needless to say they all thought I was crazy and that I either have an 8.8 or 9.75... Thanks for the replies
Old 11-20-2013, 13:14   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Can you post a picture of the tag or the numbers on the tag? Just to be sure you have a 9.75 axle. An 8.8 axle will not fit a 9.75 housing or vise-versa

Thank for the reply, this was exactly the same response I got from everyone I called regarding the axle, the end of the story after everything has been fixed is this... Ford used a 9.75" shaft between 1999 and 2000 (and maybe up) that has the diameter of an 8.8" shaft period!... Even ford experts refuse to accept that fact or perhaps are not aware of it, as it is a rare case in a rare number of rear ends... 9.75" was fitted in an 8.8" axle tube using 8.8" bearings... Every computer at the stores or shops shows either one but not one that is combined, hence the reason people think it is not possible...
Old 11-20-2013, 15:31   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

I'll be honest I still don't think that would work. Are you sure it's not a dana 44 rear axle? I would still like to see a picture of the diff cover and tags. But glad you got a shaft that will work.

Old 11-20-2013, 16:43   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
I'll be honest I still don't think that would work. Are you sure it's not a dana 44 rear axle? I would still like to see a picture of the diff cover and tags. But glad you got a shaft that will work.

You are not the first and will not be the last to not believe it, I had the guy at my local ford dealer (sold the van) go over this over and over and over and over and you get the point, the same thing... i will try to snap a picture of the tag of the rear end although there is not need for it as the tag CLEARLY calls for a 9.75" rear end, there is no doubt about that, no question, TAG specifies a 9.75 rear end, with that being said,,, the outer bearings are 8.8", hence the problem, the reason I am replying is because there are other trucks with that rear end that may one day face the same issue,,, FORD and other stores along with junk yards ran the VIN number as well as the rear end tag numbers and the computer will more likely send you to an 8.8" rear end, do a test go to any online store and type in the car 99 e150 5.4l and look for the axles, they are either 8.8" or 9.75 in some cases neither suggested axle will fit this rear end, I did purchase one of each and right away there were both wrong,,, again I am not trying to convince anyone that this "real" or not or trying to make anyone believe anything, in fact it took weeks of calling and exchanging information with many many different sources which NONE could solve the problem I came across the solution by requesting the blue prints from manufacturers of axles and compared the actual dimensions to mine the only difference is the axle that worked is .25" shorter... It is not up to me to make anyone believe anything, what I do want to let people know is that, it is a fact of my own experience that Ford did use a 9.75" axle with the diameter of an 8.8". I learned over the course of this little job that people will continue to question my intelligence or sanity and that is fine by me because IF i had listened to the first person that told it would not work, I would have to junk my van due to the lack of options, the job is done the axle is installed there is no dispute in that. 9.75" 34 spline with outer 8.8" bearings, 2 Ford shop managers with 20+ years of experience told me NO it is not possible, the job is done,,, the facts don't lie...
Old 11-20-2013, 17:05   #8 (permalink)

Here are a couple of pictures, the number of the rear end are these ((( 3l55 9.75 8k26 )))

the pictures are described like this,
the one is for the receipt of the bearings, you can run the numbers and see that those are 8.8 bearings.
another picture shows the difference between the 9.75 and the 8.8 bearings available for the van
the other picture shows my axle shaft that came out of the 9.75 rear end with numbers above wearing the 8.8 bearings.
I am not good are uploading pictures so they may not be in order.
let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearingreceipt - Copy.jpg (78.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg napasidebyside - Copy.jpg (83.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg axlewithbearing - Copy.jpg (146.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55   #9 (permalink)
Moderators

Well we all learn something every day. The only thing I see is the bearing in the picture of the bearings on the napa web site is a tapered roller bearing which is not correct. That could just be a file photo and not accurate. Without seeing it for myself I'll just have to take your word for it.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:30   #10 (permalink)

We have the same problem replacing the axle in our 2002 E150. Quite the Goat Rope!!

Does anyone have the correct part number for the correct axle?

Please advise the correct part number for us.
Fuzz
Fuzz 49r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks