Can I replace 2000 E-350 Gas engine with a 2000 E-350 Diesel Engine? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 15:02   #1 (permalink)

Arrow Can I replace 2000 E-350 Gas engine with a 2000 E-350 Diesel Engine?

I've got a 2000 E-350 extended cargo van. The problem with this van was that the spark plug came out. I went to the mechanic and he said that the threads to hold the spark plug had died.

So he used cylinder head re threading kit. The plug stayed in for only about 2 months, after that the helix tap came out along with the spark-plug. So I drove the van without getting this fixed. I'm not sure what I did, but I managed to fit the spark-plug in their but it never fired. So now my van was only firing 7 cylinders.

This was a year ago. I didn't drive the van that much, but I drove it enough to make the problem worse.

Now the acceleration is really slow. the van struggles to go over 80km/h. It starts to vibrate a bit when it goes over 70km/h and when i let go of the pedal, the vibration stops.

I'm getting 2km/L which is terrible. I thought It would make more sense to get a diesel engine for this van, this way I can save on fuel and I wont have to deal with the spark-plug problem.

I looked into a diesel engine and it costs about $2K CAD. with labour it'll come out to $3K.

So is it worth it? is it a good idea?
is it even possible to get a diesel engine in this van? I recall someone telling me that this would require modification to the entire van to fit a diesel engine.

so?

I would really appreciate your help.
Ricky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 19:38   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Can I replace 2000 E-350 Gas engine with a 2000 E-350 Diesel Engine?

I moved this to the proper section.

To answer your question:

Yes, and no. Yes, the diesel engine can work, but no, I don't think it would be worth your time or money. For $4-7K you can buy a still running and reliable E350 with the 7.3L diesel. To change out the gas engine to a diesel requires several things besides the engine: you'll also need the diesel transmission, wiring harness, computer, and a few other electrical goodies to make emissions work.

The major hidden item here is weight. The front axle weight rating will greatly reduce available payload as the van's that are built with a diesel in it are more purpose built. You'd have to adjust/change spring rates, install firmer shocks but that still won't legally increase the GVWR without proper inspection. If you don't plan to carry or tow anything, then weight won't be much of a concern. For a good diesel (7.3L is the only one to buy, especially on the used market or you'll have just as many problems with it as your current gas engine) and all the related parts and hardware, not counting labour I'd put it at close to $6K for the conversion. That also includes a new fuel tank, pump and related lines. Diesel pumps run a bit slower than gas fuel pumps, so simply cleaning out the tank and filling it with diesel won't work without causing more grief.

If you're serious about going diesel, I'd shop around for one that's already put together from the factory. It'll save you tons of grief, and will probably cost just as much to properly convert your gasser.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:59   #3 (permalink)

Re: Can I replace 2000 E-350 Gas engine with a 2000 E-350 Diesel Engine?

Sweet thanks for the input!
Ricky_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks