Coil On Plug Replacement 2004 4.6L ?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20   #1 (permalink)

Coil On Plug Replacement 2004 4.6L ??

Hi all,

This is my first post here and hope I get it right. I did a bunch of searching and believe I have the answer. I would like to verify since I couldn't find an answer specifically to my Van. 2004 E150 4.6L. Need to change coil on plug and plugs on #7 & #8. There is a tube that runs 3/4 of the way around the engine and it is Very close to most Coils. Clearance on some of the coils is almost non existent. There are 4 support brackets (two per side) for the tube and it appears that it attaches to the front of the engine on either side (Pressed in?). Do I just work around this tube? Do I loosen the 4 support brackets for some give? Does the tube need to be removed and I have to take out a second mortgage? Also what is the tube for, fuel, air or other?

Thanks a bunch.
saltydog463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 14:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Coil On Plug Replacement 2004 4.6L ??

Hello, I am thinking you are describing what Is a fuel rail. There are on each side of the engine on top and connect to the fuel injectors. I dont know exactly how your 4.6l is built but probably very similair to my grand marquis 2006. It is somewhat of a task to change the plugs but if you have some extensions and elbow joints to use with the socket: you can get around it without having to remove the fuel rail and other stuff in the way. A air compressor would be good to blow out stuff also before actually removing the plug after you remove the coils: dont want debris in the chambers. I would do some more research and try to get a pic that describes what the engines looks like and its components. I also use black tape to wrap the socket and extension so that it dont come off inside the plug. You could also remove the spark plug sockets interanl rubber insulator to make it a little easier when you put them back on. Long needle nose and angles ones make for an easier job to reach in there and remove a dislodged socket or plug. good luck and hope this helps.
mercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 17:08   #3 (permalink)
Moderators

I would say ^^^^ covered it pretty good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 17:37   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercdriver View Post
Hello, I am thinking you are describing what Is a fuel rail. There are on each side of the engine on top and connect to the fuel injectors. I dont know exactly how your 4.6l is built but probably very similair to my grand marquis 2006. It is somewhat of a task to change the plugs but if you have some extensions and elbow joints to use with the socket: you can get around it without having to remove the fuel rail and other stuff in the way. A air compressor would be good to blow out stuff also before actually removing the plug after you remove the coils: dont want debris in the chambers. I would do some more research and try to get a pic that describes what the engines looks like and its components. I also use black tape to wrap the socket and extension so that it dont come off inside the plug. You could also remove the spark plug sockets interanl rubber insulator to make it a little easier when you put them back on. Long needle nose and angles ones make for an easier job to reach in there and remove a dislodged socket or plug. good luck and hope this helps.
Thanks a bunch. I love the tape suggestion. I took a leap of faith and tried removing one of the COP's that is tight against the tube (I do believe it is a fuel rail). The COP came out easy. As far as the plugs, I'm still trying to decide if I will change them myself or pay $300 plus. It looks like the plugs will be a pain, however I don't think they are those TWO PART fiascos. I will post a separate question on the plugs, but feel free to respond here. I have always done my own plugs. Paying someone $300 plus just seems against nature.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

Your e-series does not have the two piece plugs. Those are only used on the 4.6-5.4 3 valve motors. Never used in econoline.

Old 01-05-2014, 22:41   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
Your e-series does not have the two piece plugs. Those are only used on the 4.6-5.4 3 valve motors. Never used in econoline.

That is such a relief. Thank you Very much. I remember reading that if the plugs are just a bit to tight that they could blow out. Was that just in reference to the two part plugs as well? Any idea as to what was behind the development and use of the Two Piece?
Old 01-06-2014, 04:51   #7 (permalink)
Moderators

The plugs blowing out is a whole different problem. I have read that is from not enough threads machined into the head to hold plug. I wouldn't worry about that to much. IF it ever happens it's pretty easy to have fixed. There is a company that makes a nice kit to basically install a special heli coil.

Old 01-06-2014, 18:52   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-clar View Post
The plugs blowing out is a whole different problem. I have read that is from not enough threads machined into the head to hold plug. I wouldn't worry about that to much. IF it ever happens it's pretty easy to have fixed. There is a company that makes a nice kit to basically install a special heli coil.

It appears the Ford fixed the thread problem starting with the 2004 line. I don't know if the heads are aluminum or not.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18   #9 (permalink)

Can you say YAY? Due to the good folks here, it seems that I have taken care of the misfire issues I was having with my 2004 E150 4.6 gas. I say seems because I have to have the computer (?) run through a full drive cycle before I can test for fault codes since I disconnected my battery. Numbers 7 & 8 cylinders were misfiring. I pulled the corresponding COP's ( was Very easy),and this is what I found. The .......(fill in the blank) who last worked on #7 tried to repair the boot with electricians tape.
YES ELECTRITIONS TAPE . The boot just cracked in half when I bent it.This is what I did.
1. Removed and inspected #7 & #8 COP's.
2. Replaced boot and spring on both even though #8 looked good. $10 total Autolite. Motorcraft was not readily available.
3. Check for liquid down in with the spark plugs, there was none.
4. Blew out the junk (dry stuff) that was down in with the plugs There was a lot of a fine something.
5. Reinstalled #7 at #7 cylinder since it had the bad boot, and I didn't have time to switch it with a COP at another cylinder ( I had to get the van to emissions).
6. Changed #8 COP with #4 to see if the problem jumps. No liquid and very little dry junk at # 4.

7. Forgot- I applied die-electric grease to all electrical connections.

I will give test results when available.
Next I will deal with the spark plugs and inspect all of the other COP's to see if I can find any more electricians tape and or improperly installed plugs.

Last edited by saltydog463; 01-10-2014 at 11:18. Reason: Add germain point
Old 01-10-2014, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Moderators

Hope its fixed. I usually replace the plug while the coil is off. I believe that a worn plug with wider gap than specified causes the coil to fail. Works harder to jump the gap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks