D-series truck - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 23:36   #1 (permalink)

D-series truck

Hey, i'm not sure if this is the place to post this but hear me out..
I have a D300 1970 truck with the 300ci striaght 6 and it runs hot all the time, the temp sensor is at the back and i've been told to move it to the front to get a more accurate reading but the fact still remains that the back of the engine is extremely hot. Is there a way to help in cooling in this area? I was thinking to take the sensor out and put a pipe there going to the front radiator hose or something. Someone told me u have to drill a hole and do that but where from and where to??
Whenever it has a load on after a while it will boil and lose water out of the overflow pipe which is just annoying and i'm sure its not good for the engine. So my original plan was to put a cleveland 302 v8 in it which i have lying around. And my other question was if this is possible without too much trouble? I would like to use the original gearbox and clutch etc and i'd like to hear of anyone who has done this. Also i believe this engine was used in the old f100s or f150s or something and i'm sure they have been converted to v8, did they need a different bellhousing or entire gearbox? i have got a spare c4 auto also but i dont think that would quite cut it in a truck :)
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Yonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2006, 01:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: D-series truck

Sounds like the cooling system is restricted, probably with 36 years of corrosion. Putting a bypass from the rear of the engine will probably slow the coolant flow through the head, causing a hot spot somewhere else, if not stop flow all together (I wouldn't advise it)
Have you tried getting the cooling system power flushed?
Yes the manual gearbox will adapt to a V8 but you will need a bell housing and pressure plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks