Ford Forums banner

E-150 Hard shifting

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  R.S.LOGAN 
#1 ·
Ive got a 94 E-150 and it started to shift really hard around 2nd to 3rd. Ive got no blinking OD light, no check engine light, (The lights do work, and the OD switch works)
The only code (OBD1) I am getting is Excessive Clutch slippage but I dont feel it slipping, Just hard shifting.

I talked to a few transmision shops and they say that it could be the vss on the differential or some smog stuff, but they wanted to do a rebuild and replace that part as well.

It has about 210,000 miles on it and the trans was rebuilt about 10 years ago.

Wouldnt the OD light blink If the trans was slipping Or shifting hard.

And should I have that vss part replaced anyway?

#3 ·
It does not smell burnt and I cant really tell what color it is. It has not been changed since the last rebuild.
It hot temps the Transmission has a hard time engaging in forward or reverse but shifts better, In cold temps it engages good but shifts hard.
Thanks Cat.

#5 ·
Yes, I got several estimates from $1500 to $1900
Today on the way home it was really having a hard time getting up and going from a stop, I guess the hotter temps we have been having here is causing the transmission to not want to go into gear.

#8 ·
Should have been clearer , yes trans fluid . Sorry about that .A lot of people also don't know to check when hot and engine idling and in park .You will have degradation of the trans fluid after that period of time which may not be the trouble but wont help either .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.