E1500 front alignment --2002 van - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30   #1 (permalink)

E1500 front alignment --2002 van

I have an E1500 Econoline van I purchased new in 2002. The thing has about 55,000 original miles and the front wheels look TIRED, the are both pitched outward where the tires hit the pavement.

The problem ruined my front tires. They wore in the inside and cupped. About 5,000 miles ago I had the truck aligned but I don't really remember the caster/camber whatever its called being so bad as I see it today. Whatever they did, they did not correct the caster/camber.

I also have a 99 Taurus and I understand that to correct the problem on it, I need to change the springs and struts. Is this the solution for the van?? Are there any adjustments that can be made to correct the "tired wheel" syndrome??

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2007, 18:25   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: E1500 front alignment --2002 van

You might have other suspension components that have worn over the years. Getting new front shocks might help the ride out but shouldn't affect tire wear that significantly if a proper alignment is done. I know that the HD E-Series (E350/450) were bad for this very problem. I'd get an alignment done at a dealer where you can tell them the problem. After all, service affects sales!
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:25   #3 (permalink)

It has been awhile since I posted this but time to add more--

Suspension components--worn at 55K miles?? I seriously doubt it. What I see in my van is the same problem that I see on most vans of this style, front wheels tilted inward at their tops, outward at their bottoms. I don't know the right terms but I believed they used to be called caster/camber.

Now getting to the shocks-- If I did replace them, I would be replacing both the springs and the shocks as an assembly. I AM VERY DISSAPOINTED WITH THIS TRUCK AND WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYBODY because the problem I described is sooooo common.

Foggy
Old 01-18-2008, 23:58   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail
I have an E1500 Econoline van I purchased new in 2002. The thing has about 55,000 original miles and the front wheels look TIRED, the are both pitched outward where the tires hit the pavement.

The problem ruined my front tires. They wore in the inside and cupped. About 5,000 miles ago I had the truck aligned but I don't really remember the caster/camber whatever its called being so bad as I see it today. Whatever they did, they did not correct the caster/camber.

I also have a 99 Taurus and I understand that to correct the problem on it, I need to change the springs and struts. Is this the solution for the van?? Are there any adjustments that can be made to correct the "tired wheel" syndrome??

Foggy
Take it to a good steering guy and find the truth instead of bellowing at who knows what , have to maintained it well over the time ? regular alignments and some grease make a difference .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:18   #5 (permalink)

Well, you may be right. I might have to take it to a repair place but this is a repair I thought I could handle. As to maintenance. The vehicle received great manintenance by me including oil changes every 3K miles; it only get driven 9K miles/year and those are 80% highway. The thing is in new condition other than the sagging front wheels.

My prior van was a 95 Dodge 3/4 ton. Both of the vans I purchased new. The Dodge is still in storage now with over 200K miles on it. Its problem was the rear end now I have a Ford with front end issues.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:45   #6 (permalink)

I also suspect a poor alignment settings or worn parts that caused such misalignment. Also inspect not just the springs but the u bolts as well, as problem with these can also affect minor cupping.
Hubbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 17:06   #7 (permalink)

One of my vans need a lot of front end parts replaced at about 17,000 mile because they were driving over abnormally ruff roads on a tank base. How ruff are the roads you are on?
Old 02-22-2008, 20:15   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rice View Post
One of my vans need a lot of front end parts replaced at about 17,000 mile because they were driving over abnormally ruff roads on a tank base. How ruff are the roads you are on?

The van was driven 99% on highways, most of the time under cruise control. My van seems to exhibit the same condition I see on many Fords. I am not using it now in fact it has been parked in my yard for over a year with only occasional usage. It has around 50K miles or so on it. The front tires which are far from worn are cupped.

Oh, I did make a mistake about the van's size. It is not a 1500, it is a 2500, the 3/4 model. It never carried any heavy loads, usually just tools.

Foggy
Old 02-25-2008, 06:37   #9 (permalink)

I checked my fleet records. Ball joint replacement is common in the 50,000 mile range. I don't know how your roads compare to Detroit's road system, but it appears to be the nature of the beast.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:37   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rice View Post
I checked my fleet records. Ball joint replacement is common in the 50,000 mile range. I don't know how your roads compare to Detroit's road system, but it appears to be the nature of the beast.
Thanks Uncle! I am not planning to do anything with it until we get warmer weather. This winter just doesn't want to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks