getting better MPG on E350??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 21:04   #1 (permalink)

getting better MPG on E350???

I want to get better fuel efficiency out of my '95 E350 Club Wagon. Who doesn't these days??? Does anyone have any suggestions for getting better gas mileage?

I am wondering about changing gear ratios. If I'm not mistaken I have 3.73 now, and I really don't haul much of anything other than my dirt bike. Would switching to 3.55 make a difference? I know it would affect acceleration, but I really don't care too much about that. I'm not out to set any records in the 1/4! I'm driving a van for crying out loud, and they are ment to cruz...in style, I might add! But, if I don't find some way to get better fuel efficiency it will be parked more often than not, or sold and that would be heart breaking!

Any input on improving fuel effeciancy would be much appreciated!
gargamel6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 11:36   #2 (permalink)

Re: getting better MPG on E350???

I have 3.55's in my '99 E350 7.3; it gets about 13 mpg.
clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 19:27   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: getting better MPG on E350???

I'd stick with the 3.73 gears as it's an 'inbetween gear'. Going with 3.55's will give you worse mileage around town as the van will need more power to get the wheels turning but will get better mileage if you drive 80% highway miles or more with it. Going from 3.73-3.55 won't net much of a difference to make the cost worth while as it'll take years before you actually see a profit from that particular modification.

A few 'cheaper' mods that MIGHT increase mileage (and slightly increase performance) are Taylor 8mm wires, single platinum spark plugs every 50K or less without towing, A free flowing air filter helps. Most major brands don't make kits for vans however but a trip and $50 at the home depot in plumbing parts plus a $20 cone filter can increase air flow. Home builts are also cheaper than the $300-400 kits that aren't proven to net mileage anyway, so why spend the money if you don't have to!

If you have any excess weight in the van that doesn't need to be in there, leave it at the house. Every 50lbs decreases mileage by 1-2% and adds up after a prolonged period.

Make sure tires are at proper inflation pressures and when it comes time to replace them, find the most aerodynamic ones available that suits the climate conditions for your area. Another point is to take anything off the outside of the van that would cause additional wind drag and keeping the speed at or below 65mph will net the best mileage! Good luck
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks