How do I bleed air out of my injector pump? 1991 Ford E350 diesel 7.3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50   #1 (permalink)

How do I bleed air out of my injector pump? 1991 Ford E350 diesel 7.3

I got a notice that the city is going to tow my vehicle in a matter of hours if I don't move it.

It won't start. Fuel is not getting to the injectors (I open the fuel line there, crank the engine, and nothing comes out).

Fuel is getting to the fuel line right before the injector pump. (I opened the line there and turn on the lift pump and fuel came out, with bubbles and sputters for a few seconds then smooth flow).

This is for a 1991 Ford E350 diesel 7.3

I've had this problem before and bled the air from the lines by opening it at the injectors and cranking, but thats not working this time and I am in a hurry.

I was told there may be a bleed valve on the injector pump, but I don't know where it is or how to use it. This looks a lot like the pump I have:

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/...wd/35501_1.jpg
learner91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 11:07   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: How do I bleed air out of my injector pump? 1991 Ford E350 diesel 7.3

Does the wait to start light come on? If it doesn't, there is a fuse under the dash that powers the pcm and fuel bowl heater. if the heater shorts out, it blows the fuse but also kills the power to the pcm... truck turns over but wont start see if you can find it, if it is, unplug the fuel heater and replace the fuse. Then get the heater fixed.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:42   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Does the wait to start light come on? If it doesn't, there is a fuse under the dash that powers the pcm and fuel bowl heater. if the heater shorts out, it blows the fuse but also kills the power to the pcm... truck turns over but wont start see if you can find it, if it is, unplug the fuel heater and replace the fuse. Then get the heater fixed.
Thanks for helping! The wait to start light does come on. I had a similar problem in the past, and tested my glow plugs (and everything that makes them work) and they were fine.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:55   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The only bleed valve I remember is on the fuel filter. I haven't worked on one in several years. The best engine Ford ever used though. I wish I could be of more help.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:58   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Maybe you can find an answer here. Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI
Old 12-17-2011, 13:20   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Maybe you can find an answer here. Ford diesel 6.9 7.3 IDI
Bert, thanks for that link. I read it over and I've checked a lot of the things on it. Batteries are good and fully charged, fuel filter very recently replaced, i have power to the glow plugs. There is fuel reaching the intake of the injector pump.

I just tried to check this one:

"The only other electrical check is to make sure that there is power reaching the injection pump fuel solenoid and the cold timing advance/high idle solenoids."

There are two leads, and one of them gets power when I turn the key. I didn't hear the solenoid click, but there is ambient noise and my hearing isn't the best.

I'm not certain that the entire fuel line is free of air leaks, but i don't see any current fuel leaks and as i said i do get fuel to the injector pump.
Old 12-17-2011, 14:18   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If power is getting to the red/light green wire that circuit is okay. The other wire is ground and would make the solenoid open. It would make the noise when the key went to run.
Old 12-17-2011, 14:46   #8 (permalink)

Cool. Thanks, Bert. I'm pretty sure the electrical is all fine... its either just air in the lines, or something else. I just want to be sure I'm cranking the air out properly.
Old 12-17-2011, 20:02   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Good luck, Keep us posted.
Old 12-18-2011, 00:36   #10 (permalink)

When you first turn on ignition switch dose the fuel pump come on for about 10 to 20 seconds? If it dose, this primes the system, so it will start. If not check thr fuel pump Relay. To check for air in the line, you should be able to bleed the system at the
Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Put a rag around the valve to catch the gasoline.
About the only way air can get into the system, is to run the tank dry.
Tangerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks