Ford Forums banner

Ignition lock cylinder nightmare

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  Marcasium 
#1 ·
Hello. I need help from someone who really knows what they're doing.

Let me start by saying that I have almost $0 to work with. This issue struck just after moving to a new city, in the middle of a job hunt. I have to fix it to get to work.

I have an automatic 2003 E150 5.4l. A couple of weeks ago I drove it to a nearby gas station. When I came back and unlocked the door, it was dinging like the key was still in the ignition, which it wasn't. I inserted the key and it wouldn't turn. I proceeded to try every damn thing on the internet, and everything any locksmith and mechanic I spoke to told me, thoroughly, for hours. There was no technique or trick that would let the key turn at all. The steering wheel wasn't even locked.
So I tried to remove the ignition lock cylinder to start the engine with a screwdriver. However, I can't press in the eject button underneath because the key will not turn forward enough to allow it.
Then I unbolted and pulled down the starter switch from under the dash, and started the engine. The gear shifter will not budge, even while the the van is running. I turned the wheel a bit; it locked.

The next morning I had to have it towed back to my apartment, which pretty much financially broke me. The AAA guy tried everything before towing, including twisting the steering wheel both directions with excessive force while trying the key. Eventually he pulled hard enough that there was a noise and the wheel turned some. Finally he mumbled something about Fords and told me I likely have a steering column problem.

I had to wait until I was able to get a new ignition lock cylinder. Now I have one. So I set about drilling out the old one in order to replace it. I have drilled the thing down to nothing, and the interior cylinder still will not budge. I mean, I can see through the sides of it in places, and I've gone in so deep that I'm close to drilling into the stem on the other side that slides into the little gear housing.
I don't think there is anything left I can drill, but the cylinder will not rotate. What is going on here? I just need to get this ignition cylinder out so I can put in the new one and then the shifter and wheel will free up, right? What else can I do to get it out? Please help me.

~Marcus

See less See more
#2 ·
Couldn't figure out how to delete or edit my post, so here's the update:

I OBLITERATED the whole inside of the ignition lock cylinder with the drill. Then I mutilated the ball pin on the bottom with a punch and hammer. After that I was able to pry it out, leaving the stem from the backside still sticking into the ignition gear. With needle-nose pliers I managed to turn it forward enough that the steering wheel and gear shifter unlocked! Then it immediately began storming outside, so I had to stop. Eventually I'll be able to get the broken stem out and install the new ignition lock cylinder. Thank you! Mods can delete this thread if you want

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.