Ford Forums banner

Just bought an 85 Econoline, need some help with a few things....

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
I just picked up an 85 Econoline conversion van. It has 109k miles, with the 351 HO windsor motor with 4 barrel carb.

Its in running condition but seems to have a few issues:

1. Sometimes hard to start after sitting for a while.

2. Idles a little rough before warmed up. After its warmed up it idles better, but not perfect.

3. If you give it too much throttle before warmed up it will bog down and almost die. This problem gets a little better after warmed up.

4. The serpentine belt squeaks real loud right after startup. Goes away after warmed up.

Basically, the van has numerous problems when it is cold, but runs like a champ after it is warmed up. And all of the problems are during startup or acceleration. It runs smooth at cruising speeds I can't afford to take it to a shop, so I'll have to fix these problems myself.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out here. Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
Alright guys here is an update.

I went out today to start the van, and I had one hell of a time starting it! I was afraid I was going to drain the battery. I finally started the damn thing, and it immidiatley started idling like crap, so I gave it some gas, it proceeded to rev up very doggishly and then it smoothed out. Now if I go out to start it, it will start in literally 1 second.

I am noticing it actually starts better in cold weather than it does in warm weather.

I am thinking about raising the idle speed. Maybe that would smooth it out?

I am pulling my hair out over this. any other suggestions. How do I adjust the choke?

#4 ·
If you don't have any previous maintenance history on the vehicle I suggest installing a new cap &rotor, plug wires and spark plugs. Not sure how to adjust the choke. Cleaning as many electrical contacts and using a dielectric grease will help it start better in cool/wet conditions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.