Lack of Power, it's been a looooong trip! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 14:34   #1 (permalink)

confused Lack of Power, it's been a looooong trip!

Hey guys,

So my band is on tour and we have made it to California from new York. On a long drive from Dallas, TX to Denver, CO we burnt up some 3/16ths vacuum tubing that I have since replaced, but most notably we burnt up this one tube going from the egr to the little flying saucer type thing...I'll attach a pic, but I cannot find anywhere what this little thing is! Air is routed into it (through the tube that had burnt) and is directed out two ports, one going to what I think is an exhaust component on the left side of the crank case, and the other tube is routed elsewhere...have t gotten to see yet, I'll check when it cools and get back on here. Anywho, since this happens, the vehicle has not been as powerful and it's tough to get her above 55mph. I put additional clamps on some of the hosing that I think might've helped...I feel this is a vacuum issue and I don't know where to start l, really, although I've just bought a hand pump vacuum gauge. Any help would be amazing as these long trips are sooooooo much longer when you are going 45/50mph on a 70mph highway!
Thanks guys!!
James
JamesD0e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 20:45   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Lack of Power, it's been a looooong trip!

Can you post some pictures of what you're talking about? What engine and year is it?
Old 07-24-2011, 14:01   #3 (permalink)

Sorry for the wait, no set schedule to use internet! anyway, it is a 1986 Ford E350 with a 5.8 liter windsor with a holley 4 barrel carb...can't remember carb model at the moment...so here are the best pics I could get at the moment...sorry they are pretty bad...so the egr valve, from what I've noticed, might be bypassed? here if you look at the autozone pic, Duralast/EGR Valve (EGR276) | AutoZone.com
air is shot through that little metal tube and into the rubber hose which connects to a port on the little flying saucer shaped thing (what is that?) from there, there are 2 ports coming off the flying saucer doohicky and one goes to the left side of the crank case, yet another flying sauce shaped valve (i think this is part of the exhaust system?)
I'm sorry to be so poor at explaining, I really want to know what you guys would start testing for vacuum problems...egr or pcv or what?
geez man i;m far from home!
the first photo points to a hose that had swelled and was def leaking air, when i removed it the engine started dying so i replaced that, I believe it is routed to the transimission (into a small golden colored diaphram...)
ANY COUNCIL WOULD HELP ME IMMENSELY! PLEASE, THIS IS ROUGH!!
James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0656.jpg (99.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0657.jpg (90.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.jpg (82.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0659.jpg (88.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0660.jpg (88.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-24-2011, 15:30   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

I thnk your sytem is like figure 9. | Repair Guides | Vacuum Diagrams | Vacuum Diagrams | AutoZone.com
Old 07-24-2011, 17:29   #5 (permalink)

The engine has also had a tough time downshifting for hills and the like at WOT, and I've just pulled to the side of te highway- engine overheated but I caught sight of the temp before anything bad happened. Smelled the oil and transmission fluid, no burning smell...please help with suggestions...waiting for engine to cool...
Old 07-24-2011, 18:56   #6 (permalink)

Heat riser valve? Anyone know about this? Lack power and poor economy?
Old 07-24-2011, 20:16   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If it's stuck shut, it can cause problems. Stuck open, nothing much in the summer.
Old 07-25-2011, 13:01   #8 (permalink)

Heat riser valve is hard as hell to move...
Old 07-25-2011, 20:12   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

If you can move it, spray some WD40 on the shaft ends and work it to see if you can free it up.
Old 07-26-2011, 14:12   #10 (permalink)

The vehicle is a Ford E350 from 1986 and it has a Holley Carb on it.
It has been experiencing a lack of power and poor fuel economy, I can't really get it above 55mph on the highway.

When we were about to leave NY the Ignition Control Module failed, and after a few hours I had isolated the problem and replaced it. After this, the idle was much lower, and it would bog and try to stall off a stand still start. I adjusted the idle screw a tiny bit to try to solve the problem, and it helped - to an extent...the problem is a bit intermittent.

From Dallas, TX to Denver, CO, two problems with vacuum tubing came into play. I have attached photo's.

Figure 1 shows the replaced tube that swelled up and was leaking pressure, Figure 3-1 shows the replacement tube as well. It is a rubber tube that plugs into the intake manifold (figure 3-2 & 3-3) and extends off of the metal tubing that is connected to the transmission modulator. I replaced it, yet there was still a difference in power. A few hours later, when the sun was coming up, I couldn't take the lack of speed and power and pulled over in order to check out what was going on.

I found that some tubing had deteriorated, so I replaced that as well. This can be seen in Figure 2, as well as the replaced tube in Figure 3-1. The rubber tube that deteriorated extends off of a small metal tube that is just behind the EGR (as seen in Figure 4) and is routed into that sort of Flying Saucer type diaphragm (Figure 2 & 3-1). From there, the pressure is sent through two ports from that Flying Saucer diaphragm, one down the drivers side of the Crank Case into another diaphragm that is routed into the Heat Riser Valve (Figure 5). The other tube coming off that Flying Saucer is routed to the right side of the engine, to another diaphragm (Figure 6, but can also be seen in the upper right side of Figure 3-1).

Still, the vehicle lacked speed power, and it took us 29 hours nonstop driving to get from Denver, CO to Los Angeles, CA, where we were quoted at 17 hours. Insanity.

Figure 7 shows the Holley carb, which was purchased new about 9 months ago.

Figure 8 & 9 show a nut type deal on the Crank Case that can be spun freely and doesn't seem to be screwing anywhere, it is seeping, as you can see. Figure 10 shows the driver side engine seepage from near the spark plug. I've checked one plug and it is healthy looking.

Yesterday I attached a vacuum gauge to the port on the intake manifold that is plugged with a rubber cap (Figure 3-2 & 3-3) and it read 18" although the needle shakes a bit but not to the point where it is crossing other numbers on the gauge.

I went to the van this morning, and I noticed a small pool of what I believe is transmission fluid (Figure 11) that is dripping from the underside of the vehicle (Figures 12, 13, and 14).

This is all that I know and have tried my hardest to keep a close eye on everything, but I am not a mechanic and only know what I know from the Haynes Manual, the internet, and my good friend. I am really trying, and anything you could do to help us would be so amazing. Just give me a time and I'll be there 10 minutes before. We've put in a ton of work booking this tour and don't want to cancel any shows! It is slowly becoming apparent that we might not be able to play Denver on Thursday, but I have my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks