Rear a/c is a fan...front is cold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48   #1 (permalink)
Just Plain Silly

Rear a/c is a fan...front is cold

Hello again. I couldnt find a youtube video for this, so maybe someone can swoop in and save me here. My rear a/c is not blowing cold. The front a/c is fine, minus the sissy fan that ford used for the front vents. but at least its cold air. the rear just blows outside temperature. There are a/c lines that run to the rear unit, so i know its supposed to be cold. i just recharged it the first day that it warmed up and the kids complained, so i know thats not the issue.

OTHER INFO: originally, this was an R12 setup that has been converted to R134. when i bought this, the nights were still kind of cool, so we used the heater. same scenario. front heat is awesome, but the rear was cooler/outside air.

I have no clue as to whats going on, but would love to fix this one without taking it to the dealer again. last year i paid them $143.xx to recharge the windstar, and i dont even want to know what this repair/possible recharge would cost me.

As always, any advice is welcome, as long as it doesnt involve an individual telling me "Its junk, buy a chevy/dodge/toyota/other make". I cant stand that.
FreeCandyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 15:10   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Rear a/c is a fan...front is cold

No idea on that fault I'm afraid . On looking about came across this ,might be useless .Someone else on forum may have a possible solution .

I have a 92 ford e150 with rear ac only no heat. my front ac works...
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:34   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: Rear a/c is a fan...front is cold

Rear heat and A/C is a hard system to maintain when it ages. If you have the owners manual it should state in there that in order to use the rear A/C, the front A/C must be switched to "MAX A/C", and/or put into recirc mode before the rear A/C will work.

The rear heat, for the most part, it includes an aux. coolant pump, and a rear heater core. If the system (front and rear) have not been properly cared for in terms of scheduled coolant changes and flushes, chances are good that the rear heater core is clogged with rust or other contaminants. The front heater core has larger tubing enabling smaller particles/rust to pass through it, as it's the primary cabin heat source. To save on weight and costs, rear heater cores are generally compact.

The rear A/C operates off of the same compressor, however it has it's own parts in the roof around the B pillar area. The rear A/C line enters (and returns) through the B pillar. If you look under the van on the passenger side behind the front door, you'll notice the A/C lines.

On one of the lines there is a rubber seal. This seal can crack and cause a very slow leak. If you want to know if it's leaking or not, grab your digital camera and make sure the flash is turned on. Take a few photos of the seal, or where the lines enter the B pillar under the van. Look at the photos on your computer/tv (whatever) and if you see bright green, that's the A/C refrigerant.

I found out about this trick when I was trying to diagnose my rear A/C problem on my Durango R/T. Turned out the seal on the line entering the B pillar was shot, and between two shops, they could not heat it enough to remove the seal and replace it. Total cost to replace the line was nearly $3000 (had to remove the roof panel, etc). needless to say I cut off the line and installed a front A/C only line for about $200 with a recharge of the system.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks