Remove Spark Plug on Cylinder 3 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-17, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Remove Spark Plug on Cylinder 3

Hi all,
I have a 2001 Ford Van with the 5.4L 2-valve V8 Triton engine. I just bought that van, and because of the common spark plug issue I am in the middle of changing them.

The driver's side spark plugs are done, but now I am stuck at cylinder 3 (if you look through the dog house to the front of the van, it is the 2nd spark plug).
[IMG][/IMG]

What I observed:
What I noticed is that the coil plug for cylinder 3 is much shorter.
[IMG][/IMG]

One can even see how the "wires" inside the coil plug are much shorter:
[IMG][/IMG]
It also looks like whoever installed the ACCEL coil plugs did not use the ACCEL boot on cylinder 3.

Also, my spark plug socket does not go in as deep as with the other spark plugs.
The spark plug socket doesn't seem to engage the spark plug, it is just very loosely spinning without grabbing anything.
I first thought there might be something down there that should be. I blew air, vacuumed, tried with a small screw driver... no luck.

Yes, there is a spark plug in cylinder 3.
[IMG][/IMG]

My question:
How do I get the spark plug in cylinder 3 out? And why would the coil plug be shorter on cylinder 3? Does the length change after you install the spark-plug-insert? (the previous owner doesn't know whether he did have the thread-inserts installed).

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
dr_nelson

PS: Please forgive if I have posted in the wrong section. I just joined today and still trying to find my ways in here... I am old (42)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-17, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: Remove Spark Plug on Cylinder 3

Update:

I got an endoscopic camera and spark plug in cylinder 3 seems to be sitting on top of something. Is this how a repaired spark plug thread looks like?

As it is sitting on top of something, this explains now why the coil boot is shorter.
Also, I am starting to suspect that this spark plug is of different size, probably bigger...

Heading out to get a set of deep sockets.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-17, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

OK, the spark plug from cylinder 3 is finally out. Man, that feeling when the socket finally grabbed onto the spark plug, like heaven!

Cylinder 3 has one of those thread inserts. This is how it looked after removing the spark plug:

Furthermore, the spark plug in cylinder 3 was a different one. It was a Motorcraft PZH1F spark plug, for which I had to use a smaller deep socket (9/16 instead of 5/8).
Also, now the short coil boot makes sense.
Left: Short boot from cylinder 3 with a "long" PZH1F spark plug.
Right: Normal boot from another cylinder with ordinary ASGF 22WM spark plug.

This shall help anyone who runs into the same issue. I really hope this will help save some time. It took me almost all day to figure this out, and I have yet to go and get a PZH1F spark plug...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-17, 08:54 PM
Moderators

Im a little late to the party lol.

Youre correct about the spark plug threads being repaired but its a common problem. Most likely it shot the plug out at one point. Whats odd is that the spark plug from that cylinder is from a 3v motor. I thought the oem type plugs could be used even in a repaired head.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:11 AM
Moderators

Thanks for updating the forum , good to hear you got it solved .

Never, never, never give up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85ltdcrownvic View Post

Youre correct about the spark plug threads being repaired but its a common problem. Most likely it shot the plug out at one point. Whats odd is that the spark plug from that cylinder is from a 3v motor. I thought the oem type plugs could be used even in a repaired head.
I'm surprised it fires correctly with the tip that far out of the cylinder and through a small hole to boot.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Quote:

I'm surprised it fires correctly with the tip that far out of the cylinder and through a small hole to boot.
Lol me too. How could it even fit in there? If the threads were in the same spot the tip would be hitting the piston. It looks like someone did a backyard repair and maybe put a long time sert in there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM
Moderators

Seen similar thing 50 odd years ago .The first motor bike I had would oil up the plug .My foreman went into his toolbox and said " this is and old trick we used in the army " and gave me the " adaptor " .It worked a treat , raising it higher out of cyl. and protecting the tip from getting fouled up whilst still igniting perfectly .Eventually stripped down bike in my bedroom ( those were the days ) rebored the engine oversize to repair correctly .
jwko likes this.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Moderators

Quote:
Lol me too. How could it even fit in there? If the threads were in the same spot the tip would be hitting the piston. It looks like someone did a backyard repair and maybe put a long time sert in there.
Quite common still today , spark plug non foulers .

Spark Plug Non-Fouler-NonFouler Dorman 42008 | eBay

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Today, 03:32 AM
Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.LOGAN View Post
Quote:
Quite common still today , spark plug non foulers .

Spark Plug Non-Fouler-NonFouler Dorman 42008 | eBay
I didnt even think of non foulers until I read your post. I guess that would explain the use of the high reach 3v spark plug. Ive never seen that done before. I would assume it was done because the previous owner stripped the threads but its usually repaired with heli coils or timeserts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks