Removing Calipers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford E-Series Trucks Forum for discussion of the Ford E-Series Trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:10   #1 (permalink)
Just Plain Silly

Question Removing Calipers

Hi all,
New to the forum and want to ask a "Capt Obvious" question. More for a confirmation before I break something. Im trying to get my brakes done on my 92 E150, and there are no bolts in the caliper to hold it in place with the rotor. Instead, it just has pins or something. My question is, do you compress these pins and force them out to remove the calipers, or is there a back door secret that I should be aware of? If you do remove them, what is the best method? I have changed a number of brakes in my time, drums and disks, and I have never seen this setup before. Normally for disk brakes, I pop 2 bolts out and swap the pads within about 15min. Right now, Im stuck. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

PS...If you notice the rotors, they are garbage. Bought this van 3mo ago and the previous owner said all brake related items were replaced. It shows as far as the lines and master cylinder go (and receipts help too), but I was unaware that the brakes themselves were never done. So I have new rotors to install here too. Hoping my drums are good, will find out later on.

FreeCandyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 07:33   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: Removing Calipers

Is this not the same set up ?

R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:56   #3 (permalink)
Just Plain Silly

yeah, thats pretty much the same setup. I keep forgetting to look up the "How To" videos on youtube. Ironic since I use it all the time for marine work, but continuously turn to forums for advice. Thanks a lot, looks like Im going to grab a 3/8" extension bar and my clamps. The one thing I always do differently is piston compression. I have a 3x3 oak block and a c-clamp that I use to compress it. Less of a hassle and less risk of rotor damage from that pry-bar. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:16   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

Glad to help .It's the same type of setup on a few of the European cars with the roll pins just needing knocked out . Agree with you on the c-clamp V the pry bar .I always used to give a good soaking with WD40 or the likes before knocking the pins out .See what you mean by the rotors / discs , well scored and thin !!!
R.S.LOGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:38   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

I didn't watch the video, I normally just punch them out with a drift punch but a screw driver will work too
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:39   #6 (permalink)
Just Plain Silly

well that video was pretty much perfect for what i needed. R.S. took care of that beautifully. I used a 3lb hammer and a 3/8" socket extension to drive them out, and a 1/4" extension to drive the 3/8" back out. it was a snug fit. any advice on how to handle autozone associates that sell you the wrong parts....repeatedly?

Also, please check out another posting that is up (or will be in the next 20min) regarding a/c related issues. its driving me crazy and i dont want to pay Ford $600 to fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford E-Series Trucks