1993 probe - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2002, 21:48   #1 (permalink)

1993 probe

new owner,what th e fist thing i should check or do. COULD USE ALL THE HELP I COULD GET. THANKS
Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2002, 07:35   #2 (permalink)

What model did you get ? Base, SE, or GT ? Btw, welcome to FF.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2002, 16:33   #3 (permalink)

base, what the difrents.
Old 05-16-2002, 21:46   #4 (permalink)

still waiting
Old 05-16-2002, 22:28   #5 (permalink)

The Base came with a Mazda 16V 2.0L DOHC I-4, 115hp@5500rpm 124lptq@3500rpm "this for the 93 model only, more hp and tourqe on 94-97 models". Brakes have disc on the front and drums on the rear. Wheels are steel 14x6, tries are 195/65R14.

SE model has the same engine, Brakes are the same except for the ABS option. Wheels are Aluminum 15x6.5, tries 205/55R15. SE sports a GT front and rear bumper, bumpers are a little differant than the Base model.

GT model has a Mazda 24V 2.5L DOHC V-6, 164HP@6000rpm 156lptq@4000rpm, "this is for 93 only, more tourqe on 94-97 models". Wheels are Aluminum16x7, tries 225/50VR16. 4 wheel ABS disc brakes. GT model sits lower than the Base and SE. GT has standard power seats, power brakes, power steering. The GT has body side molding on it. Also came with fog/driving lights.

Those are just some of the differances in the 3 models. Now back to you original question.... I'd check the valve cover gasket to see if it is leaking. Find out when the timming belt was changed and if the water pump was changed as well. If not, your better off replacing them both at the same time. I'd replace the anti-freeze . I know it doesn't get cold in Puerto Rico but the fluid in anti-freeze helps the water pump to turn. When was the last time the car had a tune-up ? If it's been a while, replace the spark plugs, wires, air filter, and EGR valve plug. I'd have some one check the struts to make sure they're in good shape and not leaking fluid. Have them look at the wheel bearings as well, they seem to go out around 100,000miles on every fwd car.
Remember that the Mazda MX-6 and 626 (93-97) has the same engine and chassis as the Probe. It was made by Auto Alliance, joint venture between Ford and Mazda That's right it's the same car, just has a differant body and interior. So, if Ford doesn't have a part you need, call Mazda up. Just tell Mazda that you need a part for a MX-6. Most don't know that it's the same as a Probe and they will argue with you. Telling you its not the same car if you tell them you need it for a Probe.
Also, when looking up aftermarket stuff. If you can't find it under Ford Probe look under Mazda MX-6 or 626. Hope this helps you out.

My next Ford.....
Old 05-16-2002, 22:30   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Ricardo
still waiting

Sorry, AOL kept kicking me off line.

My next Ford.....
Old 05-17-2002, 19:35   #7 (permalink)

When i was looking for a used car, i was looking for a big car not a small one,but when i saw the probe, i loved it. If i ask for parts for a probe will it be the same price as if i ask for a mazda.
Old 05-17-2002, 21:14   #8 (permalink)

Hahaha, Check this out. I live about 10 miles north of Atlanta, my A/C breaks down on me in May. I call up Ford they want $380.00 for a new air conditioner. Then I called up Mazda and told them I had a 2.5L MX-6, how much will a A/C cost ? They said $256.00 for one, of course that was a year ago. Wheel Hub goes out, Ford wants $180.00. Mazda wanted $76.00 for one . I have noticed that people who live in Michigan seem to get Probe parts at a cheaper rate. Don't know why that is. I guess one reason would be , that the Probe, MX-6, and 626 were all made in Flat Rock, MI. But, that's just a guess.
Now, when ordering aftermarket parts. The prices are the same.

My next Ford.....
Old 05-18-2002, 19:21   #9 (permalink)

whats the best wax to use when the paint is dull and someone told to use w-40 and i said WHAT!!!! YOUR KIDDING. And thanks for the help. Any more tips will be welcome.
Old 05-18-2002, 20:11   #10 (permalink)

Oh yeah, ALL Probe paint jobs from the factory fade and crack. I use Turtle wax Formula 2000. They make wax now that matches the color of ones car. But I've only seen red and black. I've never heard of anyone spraying WD-40 on their car for an extra shine.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum