1993 Probe GT Engine Mystery - HELP! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 22:19   #1 (permalink)

1993 Probe GT Engine Mystery - HELP!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and am in serious need of some help to try to resolve some problems we are having with my son's 1993 Probe GT. I really like the car, but it's driving me nuts.

The car overheated on the highway and would not run until it cooled down ... it would always crank but not run. Once cooled a bit (and the rad refilled) it would run fine, but most of the coolant disappeared in the 40 minutes of driving it took to get it home. Temperature stayed fine the whole way, but was low again when we got home.

Once home I could not fine any coolant leaks at all, but the engine was producing white smoke so I figured the head gaskets must be toast and we were burning coolant. Just to make sure I checked the oil ... no signs of coolant, checked the coolant ... no signs of oil, did a compression test on each cylinder ... all within spec's. Fired it up again and there was absolutely no white smoke, and it ran fine ... no visible leaks.

Changed oil, and coolant ... car ran fine ... headed out on the highway and had an instant replay. This time when we got it home we still could not find a leak, and it is not smoking ... runs fine. I did notice that if I started the car, it would push coolant out of the overflow, but I figured it was just overfilled.

So, changed the waterpump just in case even though it was not leaking and the bearing appeared fine. Now it is still pushing coolant out the overflow when I crank the car over, but now the darn thing won't start and the fuel cutoff light is on.

I have pushed the reset button on the inertia switch, but it still won't run. If I crank it long enough and hold the pedal to the floor it will fire and sputter, but not catch so it seems like a fuel problem? The fuel pump does not cycle when I turn the key, and will not run when jumpered at the OB1 terminal. I have checked the relay and it is fine, so It appears I need to check the pump now ... ran out of time.

My concern is that I have read about similar problems on the forum but have not been able to find a definite fix ... some people have even replace inertia switches and pumps only to have the problems persist. So, now I have not solved the cooling problem and now I also can;t get it to run!

Sorry for the long post, but I am really stumped here. I'm trying to do the repairs for my son to save him some money since he's a student. I've done a lot of automotive work, but I'm no mechanic by any means.

Does anyone have any ideas ... and do you think ther's still a chance we have a blown head gasket and I'm burning coolant?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
69coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum