1996 Probe SE problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 18:26   #1 (permalink)

1996 Probe SE problems

Hey, not too long ago I bought a 1996 Probe SE with my girlfriend, and now I seem to be having a little problem with it. I'm not completely auto stupid(attending UTI currently) but I'm also not knowledgable enough to figure this one out.

Anywho, the problem is with the fuel/air mixture, sort of. The codes it's throwing show that the mixture is too lean, but at the same time it's trying to lean the fuel out. I replaced the fuel filter and the muffler(it was broken to hell) thus far, but before I go on I wanted to see for sure what the problem is. As far as my diagnosis has gone besides the codes is that if you give it gas quickly, it seems to act like it's hitting a governer almost, at about 4500 RPM's. Other than that, if you accelerate slowly it will go all the way to redline, no problem. It also seems to bog down when starting from a stop or when idleing, or if you drop the RPM's to a certain point(like when it shifts into overdrive) when you go at a constant speed.

Sorry for the long post, I hope someone can help though. Thanks ahead of time!
Hex1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 12:20   #2 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Re: 1996 Probe SE problems

How long ago were the spark plug leads changed?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:28   #3 (permalink)

Not even 10K miles ago, along with the wires.
Hex1323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 23:20   #4 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Sounds like the you have an auto transmission & the problem could be between the engine & tranny.
Old 12-20-2006, 19:14   #5 (permalink)

Check your basics,Collapsed pcv ,or vacuum hoses , split in air induction tube between MAF sensor and throttle body,debris in air cleaner box ,damaged airfilter and contaminated MAF sensor ,Detached Intake runner control linkages or inoperative. Low Fuel pressure or excess pressure leakdown.Oil entry into spark plug holes.Intake gaskets leaking.Clogging of midship catylst entrance caused my failure of one or both of the upstream manifold pre-cats restricting exhaust and resullting in excessive backpressure and EGR flow.
dadsmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:49   #6 (permalink)

Has anyone figured this one out yet. I am having the same problem and have changed lots of components. Please help. 96 probe se 4cyl. 5 speed. bad hesitation and stalls under acceleration at 3500 rpm.
WildBillHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 19:37   #7 (permalink)

Sparkplug cables used to be common concerns.Mass airflow sensors had issues (96 model year is different Part number than than earlier years).Oil pumps were revised due to oil airation ,too high pressure at 3000 rpm,lash adusters getting noisey at idle and pumping up excessively and not allowing valves to seat at speed.I'm not sure 96 year was DIS but I saw some 4 bangers that would loose cranksensor signal due to a worn crank thrust bearing allowing too much endplay.(I think that was the ZX-2 though)I never owned a Probe but worked on a few.
Good luck
Old 01-27-2009, 06:08   #8 (permalink)

Smile Re: 1996 Probe SE problems

Hey, Thanks for the reply. Some history on this is I just swapped out the engine. I have a five speed car and I replaced the eng. with one from an auto trans. I have replaced the following, egr , injectors, throttle body with sensors attached, plugs , wires ,dist., vac.solenoids , checked for vac.leaks using propane, bank one o2 sens. plugs are frosty white like a lean indication., fuel press is 60 psi., cleaned maf with contact cleaner.No trouble codes now just like a rev limiter when you hit 3500rpm only under acc.can rev in neut.no problem.please help.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillHunt View Post
Hey, Thanks for the reply. Some history on this is I just swapped out the engine. I have a five speed car and I replaced the eng. with one from an auto trans. I have replaced the following, egr , injectors, throttle body with sensors attached, plugs , wires ,dist., vac.solenoids , checked for vac.leaks using propane, bank one o2 sens. plugs are frosty white like a lean indication., fuel press is 60 psi., cleaned maf with contact cleaner.No trouble codes now just like a rev limiter when you hit 3500rpm only under acc.can rev in neut.no problem.please help.
Did you check that all the small ground wires attached ,clean and tight?Oil pressure 57-71 at 3000 RPM?Check the sensor inputs using scantool normal?Sample fuel ,Remove filter Ethanol content or fuel contaminated with something (sugar in tank?)?Fuel injectors clogging?.Timing belt off a tooth or two?
I would start with making sure the other motor it's got the correct MAF.it workig right, and injectors same for your year and PCM calibration and that the fuel is not restricted or contaminated.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:22   #10 (permalink)

Smile Re: 1996 Probe SE problems

Hey, thanks once again for taking the time to help.I was just about at whitts end. You may be on to something with the timing belt. I replaced it while the engine was on the stand. They are a pain to lign up the cams. Can I see this with a timing light if I am off ? If I am off a tooth can i fix it with moving the dist. I replaced the inj.with the original engine. I will check oil press and ground conn.I will see about scanning. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum