'90 LX Horn Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2001, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
SCREECHYD

'90 LX Horn Problem

I got a '90 Probe LX and the horn first started to not work. When you would hit the horn actuator on the steering wheel, a buzzing came from under the hood. Now, the buzzing has stopped and i'm stuck with no horn! In this day of bad drivers, i feel that i need a horn to signify when i'm semi-pissed off at someone, so can anybody please tell me how to replace my horn, or where i can find instructions on this!? I would rgeatly appreciate any help.

SCREECHYD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2001, 19:20   #2 (permalink)
Mod/SCPOC/Probe LX Member

first, check the fuse. then theres a page in the chiltons manual on it.
Caliguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2001, 22:42   #3 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

In fords case there is a horn relay between the column and the actual horn. In old cars the positive went directly to the horn and the negative to the horn button. In this case it's not so. The relay has a constant 12vdc at two leads with the ignition on. Usually both come from the fuse he mentioned. On the other two posts one goes to the horn button as a nevative the other goes to the horn as a positive. The horn is internally grounded. As a relay is used over time the contacts will corode and degrade to the point they may stick on or the coil it's self fails. A horn relay ranges in price do to the fact it's usually not a standard bosch style relay. You could test this theory by opening the relay box under the hood and look to see if any other relays carry the same part number stamped on it, like one of the fan relays may. Put the relay in it's place and see if the horn works. If it does then you know that is your problem. Warning do not put a none matching relay in it's place. It could be configured differently as a normally closed instead of normally open in which case the horn would activate as soon as the relay was plugged in. In turn you would hit your head on the hood and be cussing my name at the top of your lungs. Ok for you but your neighbors may think you lost your mind....Hope this helps
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum