'93 Ford Probe GT - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2001, 12:45   #1 (permalink)
Probe Member

'93 Ford Probe GT

Hi. I have a '93 Ford Probe GT (2.5L/V6/manual/120K miles). It hesitates and bucks occasionally, sometimes even stalling. Also, the check engine light comes on frequently. I took it to a shop, but they could not get the car to act up, nor could they determine what exactly is causing the check engine light to come on. They changed the plugs and plug wires, but the problem remains. Sometimes it hesitates/bucks when accelerating from a stop light, and sometimes it hesitates/bucks during acceleration in the 30-40-50 mph range. What do you think the problem/solution is? Thanks.
bandit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2001, 17:34   #2 (permalink)

Do you know how to read a code from your check engine light ? If not here's what you do. Grab a paper clip, open the hood to your car, look between your fuse box and water coolent res. There should be a little black box between the two , it will say Diganostics. I don't belive I spelt that right but you get the idea. Open the box, take your paper clip and have both ends go inside and have them touch the metal connectors inside the box. Turn the ignition to on, but don't start the engine. Your check engine light will begin flashing, count the number of flashes, that should tell you what's making the car act up the way it is. If you do this let me know what code "# of flashes" you come up. I can tell you what the problem is. I think it could be your fuel injection system, that's just going by what you said, but who knows. Or it could be your "MAF" Mas Airflow sensor.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2001, 10:30   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

93 Probe- Hesitation

Stacy,

I did what you said... the check engine light flashed about 50 times before I stopped because it seemed like it would go on forever. Does this number of flashes sound right, or not? Also, there are several metal connectors inside the box... does it matter which ones the paper clip touches? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2001, 11:47   #4 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

ok, it sounds like you're not doing it correctly.

the correct way to do the diagnostic check can be found here.

you need to use a large paper clip and connect the TEN and GND pins. then turn on the ignition but do not start the car. the light sequence goes as follows:

a 1 second flash denoting 10's. 1 flash equals the first digit of the 2-digit code, in this case, a 1. 2 flashes means the code begins with a 2. 3 begins with a 3 and so on.

a .5 second flash denoting single digits. 3 flashes will give you the second digit in the 2-digit code, here a 3. 4 will give you the number 4 and so on.

so, for a bad vris #1, you will get four (4) long flashes, along with one (1) short flash. this will equal 41.

there is a small break in between codes. codes with no long or short sequence mean that either the first or second digit is a 0. for example, if a crankshaft position sensor error will give a code 02. that means you will not get the long flash, but two short flashes.

check out that link above. it will explain things a little better. there's also another site that's a little more explanatory that mine is. i think that link is: http://home.golden.net/~trinity

hope that helps you out.
Old 06-12-2001, 13:01   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Damon, for explaning more about checking codes. I was going to e-mail him, but showing him the web sites should do the trick.

My next Ford.....
Old 06-13-2001, 20:27   #6 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

Hey he stole my name! no, LOL Just kidding. Good luck with the codes and welcome to the site!
Old 06-16-2001, 04:38   #7 (permalink)
Probe GT Member

the 93 up probe gt's have a VAF not a MAF....

don't confuse the lad...

VAF- Volume Air Flow sensor
MAF- Mass Air Flow Sensor

Big differance!!!
DJ_SPECTRUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2001, 15:06   #8 (permalink)
Probe Member

Hesitation, stalling

Hi. The mechanic checked the codes for the check engine light and determined that I need a Throttle Position Sensor and 2 Oxygen sensors. How much should it cost to replace these parts? And how much labor? Thanks.
Old 06-20-2001, 20:36   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ_SPECTRUM
the 93 up probe gt's have a VAF not a MAF....

don't confuse the lad...

VAF- Volume Air Flow sensor
MAF- Mass Air Flow Sensor

Big differance!!!
My parts book, mechanic, and repair manual call it a MAF sensor. So thats what I call it.

My next Ford.....
Old 06-20-2001, 20:41   #10 (permalink)

Re: Hesitation, stalling

Quote:
Originally posted by bandit1
Hi. The mechanic checked the codes for the check engine light and determined that I need a Throttle Position Sensor and 2 Oxygen sensors. How much should it cost to replace these parts? And how much labor? Thanks.
O2 sensors are around, the last time I checked, $60.00 a peice. I have no idea how much a TPS sensor will cost.

My next Ford.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum