'93 Probe SE bogging, unable to exceed 1500 RPMs (4-cyl) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 00:11   #1 (permalink)

'93 Probe SE bogging, unable to exceed 1500 RPMs (4-cyl)

I bought my '93 Probe SE from a family member in 2012, and it ran fantastic (scaled dog fantastic)... only 123K on the clock, well maintained, and a tiny bit of hail/fender damage... long story short, I let a friend of a friend fix the hail damage and dented fender, and a year later she was nearly 300 miles away in the next state, and in worse condition (body/interior) than when she left my hands! Honestly, I've seen better looking junk-yard finds!

On the drive home, she ran decent (but not like I know she should) for the first 250 miles, stopped to top off the tank, another 20 miles... no issues... THEN a complete lack of power, unable to go above 1500 RPMS without the car bucking and bogging. Any additional throttle given... only made her resist further. At one point in time, I was idling in 5th gear just to keep momentum on level ground... in the hills of eastern KY... level ground is few and far between :D

I managed to limp her home the last 30 miles, and have done the following (with no improvements):
  • Changed the sparkplugs (old ones looked good)
  • Changed the oil and filter (last oil change was 1-yr ago and <1K ago)
  • New PCV valve
  • New fuel filter
  • New air filter
  • Sprayed 1/2 a can of Throttle Body Cleaner into the intake which is/was quite carboned-up

She starts and idles fine from a cold start, and will rev 3K+ easily (no hesitation, no noise, no cough, no sputter).
I can drive her just fine at any RPM/speed for about 3-5 miles before the issue of bogging starts.
Once the engine warms up, she is difficult to start without giving her gas immediately, but will idle 500-700 RPMS.
Engine does not over-heat, even throughout the bogging fits.
Oil-pressure is good and steady.
Once she starts bogging down, foot to the floor will not push RPMs above 2K (less under load).

I pulled the hose off the top of the old fuel filter and engaged the pump, fuel flows 5" high and stream is steady. After installing new filter, fuel will flow 6" high and seems stronger.

Exhaust is clean and clear, no smoke, and appears to have good flow.

Timing is dead-on.

ZERO idiot lights on the dash!

I can handle all the wrench turning, but at the moment I'm at a loss on where to go next... and I surely don't want to start tossing parts at it!

Any help and direction you guys can give will help me out greatly! I really need to get this car back on the road, and soon... so I can focus on the interior and get her into some fresh paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 07:34   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '93 Probe SE bogging, unable to exceed 1500 RPMs (4-cyl)

See if you get any codes with this. Fuel Injection Technical Library How To Run a Self-Test

Check the vacuum reading when that happens, at idle and throttle it up to 2000 and see what you get.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22   #3 (permalink)

Okay, I ran the tests (several times), and received the following codes:
  • 11 - Pass
  • 11 - Pass
  • 11 - Pass
  • 57 - Octane adjust service pin in use / circuit grounded
  • 45 - DIS coil pack 3 circuit failure or coil 1 primary circuit failure (CM code, no KOEO code for #45)
  • 21 - ECT out of self test range 0.3 to 3.7 volts (probably normal since engine was cold)

I found my vacuum gauge, but honestly have no clue where to connect it... My Haynes manual indicates connection to the V6, and my I4 does not appear to have the correct port on the Intake Manifold, but I'm probably overlooking it. Plus, kinda hard to do a vacuum test on a car that won't idle :(

Another point to bring up ... this morning when attempting to start the car, it would NOT start without giving it some gas. Idling was erratic ~500 RPMs, and then it would cut-out and die. It had been starting okay and idling okay when cold... but not today!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35   #4 (permalink)

I just went out and forced her to start by holding the RPMS above 2000 until she reached operating temp. Slowly letting go of throttle, and she maintained 700 RPMs at idle. I even turned on the A/C unit to see what would happen... engine gained a couple hundred RPMs, A/C operated fine. Turned off A/C, and engine returned to normal idle at 700 RPMs.

I let it idle in the driveway for about 10 min, and she was able to rev to 4000+, although with hesitation, without load on the engine. I took her for a drive, and after 3 miles... BOGGING and unable to push anything above 2000 RPMs. The 3 miles back home was "interesting" to say the least... bogging, jumping, surging, and unable to pull a hill in lower gears... had to idle up it in 4th and 5th.... topped the hill @ 30 MPH, and actually gained speed once I hit level ground, but could not exceed 45/50.
Old 06-16-2013, 13:44   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There has to be a hose connected to the manifold that you can check the readings. It's possible that the cats are getting plugged but the vacuum test should prove it out. Also, try unhooking the MAF and see if it runs any different.
Old 06-16-2013, 15:46   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Given the age and what you described, it's sounding like a cat problem to me.
Old 06-16-2013, 17:15   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
There has to be a hose connected to the manifold that you can check the readings. It's possible that the cats are getting plugged but the vacuum test should prove it out. Also, try unhooking the MAF and see if it runs any different.
I found the vacuum port, buried behind some electrical wiring... connected my vacuum gauge and she idles at 21 in hg. Reving to 2K RPMs, fluctuates as expected (drop, rise, level), and levels back out around 22 in hg. Dumping the throttle spikes to 25/26, then levels back at 21 in hg.

I disconnected the MAF, and the throttle response was much improved, although idle was erratic and increased to 900-1100 RPMs. I was not able to test-drive with the MAF disconnected due to a current thunderstorm and the car has no windshield wipers/arms and the windshield is installed incorrectly (told you it is trashed interior/exterior-wise).
Old 06-16-2013, 17:38   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Given the age and what you described, it's sounding like a cat problem to me.
I've had cat problems before on a Mitsubishi Lancer... and the experience was quite different... loss of power on the high-end, but still able to reach speeds of 55/60 and higher (just slower to get there).

The vacuum test I just ran returned the same value at idle, regardless of how high I attempted to rev the engine... although, I'm not sure if I should have been paying more attention to the WOT value as well as the idle value??

The Haynes manual is NOT very informative in that regards, but it does indicate after multiple WOT throttle tests (four minimum), the reading at idle should be no more than 1 in-Hg lower than the reading on the first 3 WOT tests. Which, after roughly a dozen WOT revs of the engine... the idle vacuum returns to 21 in-Hg, which does not (according to the book) lead to suspicion of the CAT, but I've been known to be wrong more than once, lol

EDIT: After reading a bit more on clogged CATs, I do seem to have a couple of the major symptoms:
  • Tachometer - Decreased engine power--indicated by low revolutions per minute (RPMs) on the tachometer.
  • Acceleration - Another sign of decreased engine power is hesitating or bucking when you try to accelerate.
  • Driving Uphill - The car may seem to lose some power when going uphill.

The exhaust is still clean/clear and lacks any sulfur smell... but this will be the next thing I check as soon as I can get her up on ramps and get underneath.
Old 06-16-2013, 18:42   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The vacuum readings show no plugged exhaust. The vacuum would drop when the RPM was raised and stay very low, 12-15". Read this article and especially the lower part of this. Exhaust Backpressure

Check more driving with the MAF unplugged.
Old 06-16-2013, 19:07   #10 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I had an 87 F250 with a plugged cat, pretty much acted like yours, but I have noticed that depending on the fouling, the symptoms can vary somewhat. With mine, I could drive for miles without a problem, then all of a sudden I'd take off at a stop light and be going no place real fast. Sometimes I'd be able to nurse it up to speed, other times, I just had to shut it down for a while. And the longer I put it off, the worse it got.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum