Auto-X - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2001, 22:56   #1 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

This summer not only do I plan on taking my car out to the drag strip, but I also plan on attending an SCCA meeting for a day of auto-crossing. It should be fun, there is a Integra Type-R out there that wants us local Probes to challenge him, so I may give it a shot, although I already know who'll win that one.. :(

Actually, I may have a shot at it, I have alot more torque then the Type-R does and that really helps you pull out of the corners alot quicker.

Anyone else plan on auto-crossing this summer?

I have modded my cars engine and suspension, so why not race it, don't want to waste it.

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2001, 23:18   #2 (permalink)
A-Team Member

What exactly is auto x like? I have seen a few pics but I just would like to know what you do etc.
ChargerGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2001, 00:38   #3 (permalink)

I'm not auto crossing my car. 119,000mi on the engine, needs new struts, and I think a motor mount. But, I am going to watch others this spring and summer.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2001, 20:24   #4 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Autocrossing is a type of racing where they setup cones in a large parking lot, or have a dedicated track for the purpose, but you have to make laps as fast as you can or go through the coarse as quickly as possible. It really helps you learn your vehicle's handling, and allows you to see how well the modifications you have made actually apply in a race situation.

Try not to knock over the cones or run off the track, try to maintain traction around corners.. etc, etc, looks like it's going to be alot of fun!

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Jeff95pgt

I'll be autocrossing my 95 GT in G Stock in the New England Region, SCCA.

Only mods are Tokico Illumina's, BFG R-1 245/45-16 D.O.T. competetion tires, Carbotech front brake pads, and alignment. Pretty much all I can do in Stock except installing the smaller SE front sway bar.

Once I wear out the BFG's (soon!), I'm going to switch to Kuhmo 245/45 front, 225/50 rear.

Not looking to be too competetive nationally, esp. with my lack of experience. A look at the results from the recent SCCA National Tour events show almost all Type R's and the occasional BMW. And, can you spell WRX? Locally at this point it looks like I may be the only regular GS driver.

Good luck out there, shiny side up! Lets get this forum going...seems the Miata/Neon/StreetMod crowds are more active Autox-wise on the 'net. Lets show 'em the Probe/MX6 isn't ready for retirement just yet.
Old 04-05-2001, 19:48   #6 (permalink)
schaffe4

frown

did it once and had the time of my life eventhough i managed to get lost and miss on unimportant cone on both runs which disqualified me... planning on doing it again, anyone know any good tire pressures to run for a stock suspension to get the nasty understeer out??

oh yeah... my "unofficial" time was pretty much equal with a teg type r dispite my car being an AXT so i was quite happy
Old 04-06-2001, 18:17   #7 (permalink)
Probe GT Member

Auto X

Last year I finished 4th overall in points in the IOWA region. It is a blast, this year I have added alot of mods and a new set of slicks,so it will be a whole different ballgame(look out Mustangs) By the way my car has over 150,000 miles on it,don't be scared of the miles, PROBES love it anyway they can get it!!!:wink2:
Old 05-04-2001, 11:16   #8 (permalink)
www.SCPOC.com member

true true:thumbup:
jorge95pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2001, 10:49   #9 (permalink)
Big Daddy

Welp the 2 times i've been on a track.. lucky for me no cones. one was an actual road course.. that doesn't count but the autox track we went to at MSD was awsome.. no cones when we practiced on saturday.. was about as much fun as i can imagine having in a car :D
Part of the Andy's Autosports BAPOC Design Crew

Evil in training..
FLARE!!! do you know where it is??
tony95pgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 13:15   #10 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

Quote:
Originally posted by Stacy94PGT
I'm not auto crossing my car. 119,000mi on the engine, needs new struts, and I think a motor mount. But, I am going to watch others this spring and summer.
:eek:

i auto-x my car every chance i get. i hold cards with both socal regions and i've been a little lax in getting out to events, mainly because of regional probe meets and my club's meets. :)

anyhow, it's really fun. you'd like it, even if your car is still stock.

just ask tony.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum