Career and Education Seeking advice - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2001, 16:16   #1 (permalink)

Smile Career and Education Seeking advice

Well dont know if this is the right place to post this but here it goes.
My Career goal is to work in the Automotive industry, currently i'm finishing my 3rd year Bachelor of science degree in Electronics Engineering Technology at DeVry (6 months left ) I plan to get my 2 year Automotive Technology Diploma which will allow me to work as as an Automotive tech. I dont plan on staying as a tech, but i fugured i'd start there and gain experiance, well I want to be an Automotive Engineer. Here in Canada I cant find any schooling that will help me achive my Goals, so I ask you people who are in the automotive industry and those who are not to share your input on where i can find schools in the USA or Canada that will help me achieve my Goal. And if you know of any special schools like UTI. My friend also toled me that Ford has its own shool for automotive Engineers is that true. I love cars and I'd be the happiest guy in the world if I could work on cars for the rest of my Life. I wanna work at a job that i like. I also like electronics and that why I took Electronics Engineering because all or most vehicles are full of electronic equipemnt so i fugured that would help me in my career Goal as well.

Please post any comments and sugestions. Thank you in Advance and sorry for spelling errors LOL

Rafal Wrobel
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2001, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
Probe Member

Go to a dealership and apply for a job. I work for Ford when I'm not in school (I'm graduating with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology in May...so totally unrelated to automotive) and they will hire you as an apprentice tech and/or send you to the Asset program and teach you what you need to know (Basically you spend 6 weeks in class and 6 weeks on the job until you get your 2 year auto degree). Since you are in a big city, there is probably a consortium of car dealers. In Washington, DC the group is known as WANADA (Washington Area National Autmobile Dealers Association). They have their own training program, so your area might have that too. If nothing else, start at the bottom and work at a quick lube place. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2001, 19:37   #3 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

There are several universities in the U.S. that the big three have sponsorship programs for. New Mexico has a Ford sponsored engineering program. The thing is once you acheave your BS you can take branch off into special fields, like powertrain, or suspension. Any more ford is making it's engineers do specific tasks or components. My recomendation if you are looking to continue into this industry is to check out the locations around the schools. Cost of housing is a major factor, also check the placement programs they offer. Unfortunately most manufactures are pending more layoffs due to the down turn in the industry. I think your move would be correct in going to work for a dealership as a tech. This will give you a major advantage over other guys trying to apply right out of school. One thing you also might want to check out is the graduate program GM and Ford both offer. They will pay for your school and sometimes housing as well as have you work a modified schedual at the factory. Most of the time you will have to sign a 2 to 5 year contract with the company as they want to get a return from their investment. This is a good way to make contacts and have someone else pay for school. Just something to think about.
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 19:52   #4 (permalink)

Thank you very much, I will definetaly talk to some dealerships and my school see what I can come up with.
Old 12-31-2001, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
Crown Victoria P71 Member

go here to find out more https://www.mycareer.ford.com/CAREERPROGRAMS.ASP?CID=6
tim87114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum