Ford Forums banner

Dyno Day a huge success!!!

2K views 6 replies 1 participant last post by  Dan [Sac] 
#1 ·
I'll have a full write-up shortly, but for those who missed it, you chose the wrong event to miss :D:D

#3 ·
Not much, foo'! :D:D:D

After you left we had fun trying to move through the absolutely packed roads leading to the drive-in.....I can't believe that many people went out that night! I believe they must've seen our club plans and thought to themselves...."hmmm, now THAT'S a GREAT idea!"...

#4 ·
Here's the day's event log :)

First of all thanks to those who came out today and supported this SacProbes/BAPOC event - you guys (and gals) are the ones that make this happen :)

We all met at the shop ("Ralph Gobel's Hot Rod Heaven":wink: in Sacramento around 9:15 am, and chatted for a while - the owner, Ralph, showed some of us his Trans Am WS6 that he's building - a 900hp monster that will run low 9's and will still be his daily driver :eek:with a 300 shot of nitrous:eek:

Ralph was great to us. His dyno is also state-of-the-art, and he had color charts for us, as well as our own folders. The dyno info remains in the history of the computers, so whenever we go back, we can compare our baseline runs with new ones and see what has improved. The O2 sensor was also very helpful. I can tell you with certainty that I will go back there when I build my motor - he has found a new customer in me.

After he explained to us what the process was and how things were going to go, Tony went first on the Dyno - the sound of a KL-O3 motor screaming at 7,000 RPM is freaking AWESOME! Also the thought that the car was going 110 mph on the rollers was freaky! :eek:

After Tony (in no partiular order) Jim, Matt, SeanK, Nick (Dodge Avenger), SeanM, myself, Patrick and Scamper went in and got our cars dynoed. Most of them were runnig rich, which we (I) think might be due to the O2 sensors. Most were putting down good power, and we found out where our cars were lagging and what work we need to do to idealize our A/F mixtures. For some odd reason I was the only car that had the A/F ration in the stoichiometric range (12.5/13 to 1).

A stock car (93-97 PGT) should put down at the wheels 136 HP, accounting for a 17% drivetrain loss. All of us were well within that range.

After the cars were dynoed at around 1, we BBQd some burgers, ribs and hot dogs and had ourselves a finger-licking good lunch. Dana (and I hope I got the name right...) was great grilling the food and making the salads. I think Sean M finally has some real competition when it comes to grilling things...

After the BBQ, we had a car wash, and several Probes turned from dust-covered average cars to sparkling beauties...

Following that, we headed out to the river to cool off for a time 'till the drive-in movie. The river was cool, and a couple of us started waading through the water. I made a bow and arrow that was good enough to hit Sean in the chest from about 10 feet away (in true Willhelm Tell fashion).

The river was followed by dinner at Lyon's where the food was good, the air was cool, and the sexual innuendo aplenty...those who missed this event missed out on more than the dyno :)

After that, we headed out to the drive in, only to find it packed with middle aged SUV-driving folk, who decided that they want to re-live their youth by watching 'planet of the apes'....too bad for us, as the place (and a half mile in every direction) was packed solid, with road rage to last a month. We decided that some bowling would sound better than trying to get in there, so out we went to Country Club Lanes...

Here we all got monkey stamps on our hands, and paid $5 cover to get in a bowling alley (must be a Sacramento thing). As the waiting period was at least 30 min, we abandoned this as well, adn went in the cool billiards room to shoot pool for about an hour or so....I suck beyond belief at pool, so I don't recollect much from what went on in there. Nobody ended up naked though.

After that the remaining crew went on to Krispy Kreme's donuts, and I headed home, ready for that long 10 minute drive to my house :D

People who dynoed:

• Tony
  • Jim
  • Matt
  • Sean M
  • Sean K
  • Scamper
  • Nick
  • Patrick
  • me

Other people that were there but didn't dyno:

• Jeremy (SacProbes)
  • Joelle
  • Kim
  • Wayman (SacProbes)
  • Billy
  • Jason
  • Dan (Joelle's friend)
  • Dana (Sean K's boss/wife)

Whomever I forgot, please list yourselves here :tup:

What the heck else did we do that I'm forgeting?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.