Exaust Dump Offs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2002, 17:29   #1 (permalink)
Probe GT

Question Exaust Dump Offs

So I was on ptalk And I saw something on exaust dump offs and I was wonderin if any of you have experience with such a thing. I would pretty much just like to know how you turn it on from the interior.
Thanks
Eric
E-Betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2002, 18:04   #2 (permalink)
1stgenprober

yeah iv seen them, to switch it on you have to reach under the car and switch it from under your car i hear they give more power but ur car gets louder too and it sounds like sh!t
Old 01-03-2002, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

For a few bucks more, you can buy a metal rope with a handle on it that you can run up through your gear shifter hole and control it from the inside.
Old 01-04-2002, 09:03   #4 (permalink)
Hardcore GL Tuner

Question

Yup, true! I've seen them @ a local muffler shop and It's kinda cool. The guy that was having it installed on his truck used it to make his truck have dual exhaust. Well in a sence anyways. He used one of the exits for the stock system and the other for a mandrel bent strait pipe(testpipe). And it was all controlled from inside the truck.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:16   #5 (permalink)
Probe GT

Well, I just ordered one from jcwhitney and I will see how it works. I am sure it would make my car sound like crap but it's all good because I won't have to use it always.
How many extra horsies do you think I will get out of this? Do you think it will be very noticeable since I already have cat- back?
Old 01-04-2002, 12:00   #6 (permalink)
Hardcore GL Tuner

cool

Cool idea to try it out, but don't forget you have to cut a section out of your exhaust after your cat and weld it in. But what other plans do you have for it? How are you going to route the str8 pipe(w/o muffler)? And if you do it this way, the legal way, the only difference it will give you over a catback is you would be driving without a muffler.
Old 01-04-2002, 14:46   #7 (permalink)
Probe Member

I wish you luck with it, but I personally have doubts about how well it will work. I don't want to bring up the back-pressure vs. exhaust velocity debate, etc BUT in my experience our cars don't do well with no resistance coming off the header/manifold. I have the hotshot headers and blew off the downpipe doing some rally racing. My car ran horribly till I got the pipe reconnected. I had no torque to get moving and the top end didn't feel spectacular either and yes, it sounded like a big lawnmower eating a honda civic :crazy1: Now if you are thinking, "Brian that's because your exhaust had no velocity!" Wrong, the hotshots have individual tubes for each exhaust opening off the head and are brought together just before the downpipe meets the headers. So, it had velocity and what I lost was backpressure/resistance (or so I'd assume). Ideally, you'd want to have the cutout valve before your cat so you get better flow, but on our cars it didn't work so well. Maybe if you can experiment with some smaller pipes on your open end you'll have some good results. Basically, I'm warning you to make sure you have some money set aside to make changes in your exhaust if the first set-up doesn't work.

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed this babbling.
Old 01-04-2002, 16:41   #8 (permalink)
Probe GT

I understand cars need a certain amount of backpressure but just how much seems hard to tell. I have no clue how well this will work but reardless it will have been worth the money (@30.00) to find out. I plan on simply having it welded in before my cat and only usin it when I want to race or open er up on empty roads. so legalness doesn't concern me.
Daprobe- what do you mean by "on our cars it didn't work so well"
Old 01-04-2002, 19:01   #9 (permalink)
Probe Member

"on our cars it didn't work so well"... I was talking about having a free flowing exhaust before the cat. I think you'll be ok if you can experiment with some different size pipes on the open side. If you can dyno a few different diameter pipes, you'll be able to get a good match so that you aren't compromising torque (which is the balls of the GL). If nothing else, the butt dyno should be ok to use as well.

You are absolutely right, in that for $30 you can't go wrong. If it doesn't work, just keep it closed...ya know?

BTW when you get it installed, make sure you go to a place that does a lot of exhaust cutting and welding.
Old 01-08-2002, 19:57   #10 (permalink)
jdsprobe

What is the exhust dumpoff, and do I still have it if I have Pacesetter Header and Cat Back?
How much power do you pick up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum