FE3 and GL Drivetrain - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2001, 01:02   #1 (permalink)
Probeless Moderator

FE3 and GL Drivetrain

well, i am seriously thinking about getting an FE3 for my car since my engine has most deffinetly seen better days. i actually have dibs on a 1.8l FE3 right now which is stroked much shorter than the 2.0 and therefore should be able to rev even higher. as far as i know i can get a turbo for it from europe which will just bolt right on. being that i am from europe (germany to be exact) this should not be a problem once we find a car back home to steal the parts from.

here is my concern. will the GL Drivetrain be able to hold up to the amount of stress that it would be under from the FE3. i am not concerned about the clutch or transmission. but i am concerned about the axels and so forth. i plan to get an upgraded GL tranny pretty soon anyways and then eventually an aftermarket clutch. this FE3 wouldn't be turboed for a while and it make around 130+ HP in it's current form. i don't know how much torque it make though, but i am guessing 120+!?! :darin: i am pretty sure my GL will be able to handle that, but a turbo would be a sure thing if i get this engine.

oh, and this thing will redline at approximately 7500-8000 once the ECU is reprogrammed and everything.

so, what do you guys think???

THANKS!!!! :bcool:

Gunmetal Gray 91 Probe GT
May the boost be with you!!!
zkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2001, 09:21   #2 (permalink)
Probe Member

I wouldn't get the 1.8l. The numbers you say it will put out, I've probably got about that with a couple bolt ons. I would wait and get the 2.0 w/ turbo from JayB. He has them on sale for 1,000. If you wait a little longer he'll have custom made 3" exhaust too. I don't know how much you're paying for the 1.8, but I think you'd be better off getting the 2.0 in the long run.
If you get the 1.8, your current drivetrain is fine. Once you turbo, you'll want the GT trans.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:54   #3 (permalink)
Probeless Moderator

the 1.8l would cost me 800 obo. the 2.0 from Jay B is N/A. both of these can be turboed on stock internals though! :bcool:

thanks for the reply... it's good to know that i'm not alone on this board!

Old 12-02-2001, 13:47   #4 (permalink)
Probe Member

Something to consider is that with the 2.0 motor, you have 170HP n/a and you said 120-130 for the 1.8. You're looking at a $300+/- price difference. Can you get an additional 40hp for $300? It all depends on what you want to do and how fast you want to go. Either swap will be pretty cool though.
Out of curiosity, have you seen dyno plots from both motors? If you could post them, I'd like to see what the curves look like.
Old 12-04-2001, 15:07   #5 (permalink)
Probeless Moderator

well, i finally got some numbers on the 1,8l F8 16V DOHC. it is not a FE3, but it uses many of the same parts, such as the head. it makes 130HP and 115 torque. don't know at what RPM's though. it is a very high reving engine and should easily be able to rev to 8k and make power all the way there.

but i have decided against this since it really won't be much of an improvement over my current engine. so 2.0l FE3... here i come! :bcool:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum