Ford Forums banner

Fire Flood Or Blood,,,,guess which one i dealt with today........

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mfp4073 
#1 ·
I forgot to post this today after work...
Well as some of you PT'ers know i work at an Apartment complex,,and some of you know ive been away from work for 3 weeks due to that incident with my arm.

So the start of a new week brought me this.

Our boss tells us the only emergencies are Fire Flood Or Blood.
And today we had one.

I got a call on the radio,,a tenant called the office to say that they had lit a fire in the fire place and that the APT was filling up with smoke.

What the office told me scared me.......

We had work done on the roof earlier in the day and the roofers took part of the chimminey off and covered it with plywood and a few plastic tarps.

Including the flutes.

So when i get to the APT,i knock on the door and get no answer...i do this for 5 min before i call the office on the radio and ask for a key to be brought to me as i did not want to leave the APT.So i get a key and enter only to find it is pitch black inside...

So i cover my mouth and run inside to do a search for bodies.

No one is home,,but the fire is raging something fierce in the fireplace....and coming up the mantle as it has no place else to go because the flutes are blocked.

So i radio my boss and give him a 5 second detail on the situation,,he tells me to hit it with water,,i said to much fire..

So i run outside and break the glas with my hand for the exhuigisher <SP> and run back indoors.
by this time another maintanance guy is on scene and we go together to the fire place..i laid that fire down with a fury in about 3 min and got it out,,,by this time im getting more smoke as im putting it out....

I could not see....i was scared,yet excited to.

So the alarms are going off,,smoke flowing out of the windows,i manage to get outside,,mainly due to the fact that i do know the layouts of all the units so it was not really a problem.

I saved the APT,though it has heavy smoke damage i was taken into the office and was thanked for my fast thinking,,yet stupid.

I finished my work day repairing the damage to the tarps and plywood on the ceiling and blowing out the unit with fans,,,The walls are dark grey with smoke.Soot over everything,,the apartment was just destroyed with ash and smoke stains,,but it is livable.

So i keept a whole building from burning down...do i feel different??

Hell yes i do..it kicked my ass.Im tired.drained..no energy from the rush of adrenalin from opening that door.

i had to shower twice to remove the smoke smell..and i still can smell it in my work clothes even though i washed them.

maybe i should have let it burn.......

what do you think?
have you ever been in a situation like this before?
i dont feel like a "hero" or anything else for saving the unit.

I was doing my job.

See less See more
G
#6 ·
Similar to that (in the instance of feeling good and hopped up on adrenaline). Was coming back from a show about 1 hour from home. I was in my mustang, barreling down I-4 westbound in downtown area. 3 lanes divided by a concrete divider. 2am, but still there are cars on the road. Mom in passenger seat half asleep (took her to the show). Up ahead I notice smoke in the road and something else that I cannot make out. Cannot tell if a car had bad exhaust or what. about a half second later I realize that the other thing in the smoke is van on its side (I was looking at the bottom of it). Blocking 2 lanes of traffic. Its at this point that I also realize that the wheels are still turning and that no one is on the scene. I whip my car around the van and stopped a safe distance (for fire or other cars hitting it), jump out, tell my mom who is standing there with her mouth open to call 911, grab my 3 d cell mag light, fire extinguisher, and head toward the van. An off duty tow truck driver has pulled over too and together we are the first to make it to the van. Most of the windows are broken and its smoking. I fully am expecting to see blood, guts and dead bodies everywhere, but I have to go. I am the only one here. my partner (the towtruckdriver), jumps on traffic detail and I get the back doors open. One guy in there. Actually alive and standing! He was way in shock and it took a little while to talk him out. cut on head, shoulder and elbow. Got some rags on him and did a once over for other injuries. He started yelling and roaming around at this point (headed for traffic). My partner got him back out of traffic and I took over direction. Cops and Fire dept showed up and I breifed them as they came in. Shit!!! I had that scene completely under my control!!!! Looked like he clipped a gaurd rail or something. No other cars involved. Ripped the entire front suspension off the van. This as a 2000 ford with the extra seats in the back. pretty nice van. Looked like a rental. Airbags saved his life, of that I am sure. I was up till 6 am on the adrinaline. I SAVED THE DAY!!

#7 ·
GREAT JOB GUYS!!!

I've been @ the scene of a few accidents, but never early enough that the fire/police weren't there yet. I commend the both of you on your bravery:hy: Probers kick ass! :s5

G
#9 ·
Katkat said:
I would like to know the name of your apartment complex, Merlin. If I ever move that way I do NOT want to live there. Maniacs driving golf carts, floods, fires.. nuh uh. :s2:

Good job

LMAO :MUha: at least that Maniac can stop fires and floods. I sware Merlin is wearing that S on his chest. and finding money in apartments helps too:grin:

#10 ·
4 Weeks ago in Sarnia a drunk driver rear ended an elderly couple at about 11:30 pm at night on a Friday.. I was right beside them when they hit, and watched as the little Shadow was punted up..
I got out, used my fire bottle on the engine of the Truck (Damn guy never paid me back) and went to see th eother people who had been hit.. Turns out his wife was having a heart attack...

Poor people.. I sat there checking her pulse, removing her head from the windshield, and getting her out onto the strecther with 2 ambulance attendants

The guy that hit them, was totally drunk, and locked his truck, left it running and sparking, and left the scene.. He was apprehended later after getting his ass kicked by the Po-po

It was cool!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.