Ford Probe? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 15:59   #1 (permalink)

Question Ford Probe?

I am thinking about buying a 93-96 Ford Probe & was wondering what people who have owned one of these cars think. I understand that feedback on here will just be an overall generalization of people's different experiences with them as each car is different depending upon its past history & how its taken care of when you buy it, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
st00ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2004, 21:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: Ford Probe?

I don't know if your from Downunder or the states. So I can only give an American point of view. So, if it was me, I'd get a 95. Most of the bugs had been worked out buy then and it has more options on it than the 96.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 23:19   #3 (permalink)
Probe GT

I would say get a 93-94 as OBD I is way easier to work with. 95+ are better looking though, with the license plate on the rear bumper and chrome swirlies. Both sets are very similar though, they are quick, fun and easy to work on. They are also reliable when treated well and maintained.
E-Betz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 06:29   #4 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

ok ive got a question guys. Im guessing that the US and AUS spec probes are the same. My question is, is the 2.5L V6 the same as the 2.5L V6 in a 2000 Ford Mondeo ST24? I know the mondeo is rated at 125kw's @ 6250RPM and 220Nm @ 4250RPM.

I know (i think anyway) that you guys didn't get the mondeo as it was for the the UK market mainly.

Advertised as $4000ono. Price is negiotable for a quick sale.
FoMoCo4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 07:43   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCo4eva
ok ive got a question guys. Im guessing that the US and AUS spec probes are the same. My question is, is the 2.5L V6 the same as the 2.5L V6 in a 2000 Ford Mondeo ST24? I know the mondeo is rated at 125kw's @ 6250RPM and 220Nm @ 4250RPM.

I know (i think anyway) that you guys didn't get the mondeo as it was for the the UK market mainly.
No, the Mazda 2.5L KL-03 engine found in the Probe GT, 626, MX-6, and Millennium and the Ford 2.5L Duratec in the Mondeo, Cougar, and Contour are not the same motor. Also, in the states the 95 Probes are OBD-1, 96 and 97 are OBD-II

My next Ford.....
Old 04-17-2004, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy94PGT
No, the Mazda 2.5L KL-03 engine found in the Probe GT, 626, MX-6, and Millennium and the Ford 2.5L Duratec in the Mondeo, Cougar, and Contour are not the same motor. Also, in the states the 95 Probes are OBD-1, 96 and 97 are OBD-II
hmm ok thanks. So would you know the specs for the KL- 03 engine?

Do you think its better than the mondeo/cougar/contor one?

Id be looking at a 96/97 probe, is the OBD-II much better than the OBD-I?

Sorry for all the questions.

Allan

Old 04-17-2004, 21:01   #7 (permalink)

Quote:

Allan
Well, it depends on who you ask. People who own a mondeo/cougar/contor will say the Duratec 2.5L is a better engine. Folks who own a Mazda KL-03 2.5L say it's a better engine. OBD-I is a better than OBD-II. Reasons, it's easier to read the engine codes and too do mods. Also look above at the sticky, I have Probe specs there.

My next Ford.....
Old 04-19-2004, 00:19   #8 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

Quote:

Allan
Allan

All the Probes in Aust from the 94ST to the 97SV Probes have the OBD1 management system there is no OBD11 in Australia so you can pull codes of the diagnostics with ease

Alan
Old 04-19-2004, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Bring Back Jeff Kennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B
Allan

All the Probes in Aust from the 94ST to the 97SV Probes have the OBD1 management system there is no OBD11 in Australia so you can pull codes of the diagnostics with ease

Alan
Alan

You know whats funny, my last name starts with B too..lol

Anyway, could you tell me a little about your experience with your Probe?

Any problems I should look for when going to buy one? Is there anything that really annoys you about the car?

I just want to know the kind of stuff that isn't in all the reviews when the cars were new.

I want either a probe or a mondeo ST24, without being to biast which do you think would be the better car?

Old 04-19-2004, 17:14   #10 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

Quote:
Alan

You know whats funny, my last name starts with B too..lol

Anyway, could you tell me a little about your experience with your Probe?

Any problems I should look for when going to buy one? Is there anything that really annoys you about the car?

I just want to know the kind of stuff that isn't in all the reviews when the cars were new.

I want either a probe or a mondeo ST24, without being to biast which do you think would be the better car?
Actually the Probe is the wifes car mine is the XR8 but we have had it since Feb 02 and it now has 90k on the clock with no real problems at all only a busted power steering pump - bearing actually that collapsed.
The Probe is a good car with virtually no room in the back seat but a huge cargo area and I have driven a 99 Mondeo manual only the 2.0 which I found very unrefined (I personally would put it in the same boat as a Hyundai Excel - puts flame suit on waiting for a response from the Mondeo guys) the only other problem with the Probe is the vision from the mirrors is not that good.
The Probe is not overly quick as it is a fairly heavy car for its size.
We actually test drove a Cougar late last year which has the same motor as the ST24 and the Cougar seemed to be a quicker car then the Probe but was smaller inside , the Probe has a good size drivers area I am 6"1' and 110kgs and I fit in the Probe with ease
The main thing with the Mazda KL03 motor is give it very regular oil changes with a low vis oil (5 or 10W30 is ideal) and good grade filter (Original Mazda V6 filter is the best on the market) every 5000kms at least other wise the HLA's will become noisy.
I have personally never driven or been in a ST24 so I can not make an opinion but I have heard they are a sleeper don't the English cops use these as their Highway Patrol cars along with the Vectra V6's

What ever you get you will enjoy it it will have the BLUE OVAL doesn't that count for something..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum