Front Strut - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2005, 20:37   #1 (permalink)

confused Front Strut

G'day all

I've finally got myself a front strut bar and I'm sure it'll do next to bugger all - but that's not the point. I like it & think it will look good. hehe. Just wondering if anyone else has fitted one & any gotcha's? I know I'll have to reposition the bonnet arm but if I fit it myself I'm more worried about unscrewing the 4 nuts surrounding the suspenion coil (where the strut will connect to the body) & whether this will cause the suspension spring to unload, fallout or just do something that's a mungrel to fix? Should I jack the car up taking the full load of the car off the suspension spring or allow enough weight to prevent the bolts from potentially falling out? I'll consult the manual for further info but hoping someone can give some advice.
Thanks heaps
azdysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2005, 20:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Front Strut

Sorry - It's for a '94 Australian Probe
Old 10-04-2005, 22:33   #3 (permalink)

The Haynes manual talks about removal of the whole suspension unit including the removal of the tyre to get to the lower suspension connection points. From my guessing if I'm not disconnecting the lower points of the suspension then I should be able to unbolt the top 4 nuts without the car dropping or suspension coil go launching into the air. Hope I'm right. The picture suggests the top of the suspension coil has a plate connecting it to the body. I think the upwards pressure on this plate would prevent anything untoward occurring.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:25   #4 (permalink)

Thumbs down Re: Front Strut

I'm having a bit of a one way conversation here but here's an update..... I fitted the strut & it don't work :( The bottom of the strut touches the top of the engine & hence doesn't let the engine move freely on it's mounts. It may even be changing the correct positioning of the engine. Basically once installed the engine ran like $hit & the engine warning light comes on - so what's described above could be letting air in somewhere & the whole system goes hay-wire. I then corresponded with someone else who had purchased one & they had exactly the same thing happen. In fact he'd bought 2 at different times from different people (at different costs) thinking maybe the first was a dud. It's not as simple as just screwing on either. The standard suspension nuts you take off to install only have half a thread & as your raising the base with the strut bracket the standard nuts would no longer be safe enough to use - they're only be grabbing very slightly. Don't turn the nuts upsidedown either as they're flanged which prevents them shaking off. You also have to shave off the bracket for the bonnet arm so you lose that. Hence - this is my warning that the cheap sruts you see going around aren't that good (hopeless). If I even save one poor $ucker an afternoon & a few dollars this will have been worthwhile. Oh - if you still decide to buy one - you can get fully threaded suspension nuts from Repco for under $5. 10 in a pack size 10 - 1.25 metric.
Perhaps reply post if you've had better luck or found a good solution. I think in you raise the bracket much you'll run into other problems like the strut hitting the bonnet firewall. The dam strut's just not bent enough but by not doing it properly would compromise it's integrity/strebgth - hence just making it a visual thing. Big
Old 10-16-2005, 13:18   #5 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Sorry been away o/s so haven't seen this untiul today. I know of two other people who have tried unsuccessfully to fit front strut bars to Aussie Probes. One guy did his money the other got it back. In both instances the bolt holes didn't even line up, so at leats you got a few steps further.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:29   #6 (permalink)

Hoping this has a happy ending. The guy I purchased it from off E-Bay gave me a few options one being post it back & he'll reimburse the initial purchase price + postage. So at the end (once I get the refund) I'll only be out $10, an afternoon and having to refit the bonnet arm clip (which will be the most painful). Shame - I was looking forward to all those new fast & tight corners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum