Fuel pump - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 06:51   #1 (permalink)

Fuel pump

G'day all,

Couple of questions related to the fuel pump:
Will petrol still get to the engine & hence run if the fuel pump has died?
Can a fuel pump sort of work? or it either does or doesn't.

I'm trying to trouble shoot as last weekend I drove around without any problem and then shortly after filling up it's now driving terribly. There's a bit of lag & short of breath when you hit the accelerator and then it has the jitters until higher in the rev range. Sort of like it's not getting the fuel quickly enough & enough of it. I thought initially it could have been dirty fuel - which could still be the case but not convinced anymore. Although I've put some injector cleaner in & are still getting rid of this suspect tank of fuel before refilling to see if it improves.

The only reason I started thinking fuel pump is because normally when I turn the ignition on the fuel pump clicking through is typically quite audible...this noise seems to have all but disappeared...or is only heard quietly sometimes.

Maybe a plug or injector has gone....bugger....could be anything. Probably end up at the mechanic. Anyway thought others may relate to these symptions & have some ideas?

Thanks everyone.
azdysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2005, 08:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel pump

If your fuel pump has died, the engine will not run.
It doesn't really sound like a pump problem. If it runs poorly at low revs & smooths out at high revs, this would suggest the pump is supplying adequate fuel flow.
Have you checked the spark plug leads? I'm not really up on your model car but do the plug leads run down inside a tube through the cyl head to the spark plugs. These have a terrible habit of shorting across to the tube instead of the plug. Check the plug leads for any signs of arcing near the plug. Just a couple of suggestions that may help.
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 00:13   #3 (permalink)

Thanks..it's an Australian '94 model. I read the Hayes manual in the trouble shooting section and from the closest descriptions it could range from a blocked fuel filter (dirty fuel) or fouled plug to injectors & ECU. Got me worried so it's booked into the mechanic on Wednesday. I'll let you know what results should it be of benefit to others. I'm just praying it's something on the cheaper side...
Old 08-25-2005, 20:34   #4 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdysb
Thanks..it's an Australian '94 model. I read the Hayes manual in the trouble shooting section and from the closest descriptions it could range from a blocked fuel filter (dirty fuel) or fouled plug to injectors & ECU. Got me worried so it's booked into the mechanic on Wednesday. I'll let you know what results should it be of benefit to others. I'm just praying it's something on the cheaper side...
Have fun replacing the fuel filter BASTARD OF A JOB you have to remove all the intake system and then have fingers like an monkey to get under the filter to release the clip and undo the retaining strap and installation is the reversal of removing with swearing in different places
Don't forget to depressurise the fuel system or you will be sorry the fuel will all over the place
Old 08-26-2005, 14:34   #5 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

I'd vote for the leads too, based on your description. Fuels issues don't tend to come on so suddenly.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:33   #6 (permalink)

Well done guys...it was the leads/plugs. As mentioned I chickened out & let the mechanic find it. He sorted that quickly. The bummer was I've decided to go ahead with fixing a bit of an oil leak. Not enough to drip onto the ground but enough to smell burnt oil when running. I'm now waiting for the bill :( Went out in the boat today & that busted also - so I'm not having much luck with mechanical things of late. Better go I've gotta look for a second job to pay for it all
Old 08-27-2005, 03:39   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdysb
Well done guys...it was the leads/plugs. As mentioned I chickened out & let the mechanic find it. He sorted that quickly. The bummer was I've decided to go ahead with fixing a bit of an oil leak. Not enough to drip onto the ground but enough to smell burnt oil when running. I'm now waiting for the bill :( Went out in the boat today & that busted also - so I'm not having much luck with mechanical things of late. Better go I've gotta look for a second job to pay for it all
Good to hear that it wasn't too serious. I hope he fitted good quality leads. Some of the crappy aftermarket ones will only last 12 months!
tufLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 19:07   #8 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

Went thru the same process about 6 - 8 months ago with the Probe - misfiring under hard acceleration and load.
Replaced the leads - found Mazda to be the best price at $150 a set
Replaced the 6 plugs - FORD was the best price at about $2.50 ea
Went after market for the dissy cap and rotor button at about $60 and $8 ea
Fuel filter was about $20
Now if I was to use FORD for the parts - Leads $400 , Dissy Cap $200 and Rotor button $90
Because these things are so tight and bloody awkward to work on it took me nearly a full day to replace all these bits with a lot of colourful language avery 5 seconds, the rear plugs and the fuel filter were the worst by far to do

PS Gimme a damn Falcon to work on any day

Any way I am glad it is back on the road with minimal fuss

Now there is possibly a small oil leak that makes a burning smell after is had been running even for a few minutes and I can not find it
Old 08-28-2005, 13:34   #9 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Bought my colour coded leads from PRD & had them installed during the 100,000km service. Glad it worked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum