GT 93 no start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2010, 08:57   #1 (permalink)

GT 93 no start

93 GT (auto) 110k won't start. Car was purchased used with transmission issues. Transmission recently replaced, along with a bunch of engine sensors. Problem has been intermittent, not dependent on engine temperature or weather. Occasional power drain results in dead battery overnight-- but vehicle can go for weeks with normal start/stop and no power loss. One incident-- perhaps related: power to cooling fans was not shutting off with engine cool off. Exact replacement for switch was not available-- so I subbed in one that was sufficiently similar to fit and function-- except it does not have the delay functionality-- it shuts the fans off with the engine. problem seemed to resolve... BUT-- that switch does not have a post run delay-- it shuts off with the ignition. Current problem historically presented as follows:

Key in ignition (foot on brake) turned to start-- no response. Move shift rapidly from P all the way down and back-- car might start. That failing, move to neutral-- car might start.

Currently, shift is "frozen" in park, car won't start, battery "seems" low.

Battery, alternator and belts are relatively new. Last episode, car was towed to shop-- which spent 2 days trouble shooting before conceding they couldn't find the problem. Seems that although the car wouldn't start to drive into the service bay, once they had it in and on the rack, it started fine, time and time again.

My short list of suspects includes:
neutral safety switch (it starts in neutral)
ignition interlock (stepping on brake now fails to release shift selector)
ignition switch.

Am I on the right track? Is there a way to nail this down?

Any insight/assistance is greatly appreciated!
mege23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2010, 21:17   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: GT 93 no start

Very possible that it's the neutral safety switch. You could turn the key to the start position and slowly move the lever and see if it's an adjustment or needs new. As for not coming out of park, Maybe the brake lights aren't working. That would be the stop light switch. You can get it out of park by turning the key one notch off from the ignition on position and shift to neutral.
Old 10-26-2010, 07:33   #3 (permalink)

Re: GT 93 no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Very possible that it's the neutral safety switch. You could turn the key to the start position and slowly move the lever and see if it's an adjustment or needs new. As for not coming out of park, Maybe the brake lights aren't working. That would be the stop light switch. You can get it out of park by turning the key one notch off from the ignition on position and shift to neutral.

Thanks for your help Bert. I checked the brake light and circuit-- all of which was good, so I replaced the stop light switch-- and the shift selector would once again move from park. The problem with the current drain and episodic refusal to start except in neutral persisted though, and the current drain isolated to the start circuit. So, the neutral safety switch is getting replaced today. I'm hoping that gets me to the bottom of this problem.
mege23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum