Head Work, READ THIS - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2001, 21:18   #1 (permalink)
Got Boost?

Head Work, READ THIS

I just got my new ported and polished head on my car, It was opened up quiet a bit. We did the work ourselves with just a di-grinder. Anyway

ALL TURBO"S DO THIS> Port it. Do it, Dont ask why, just go out and do it now, you'll thank me later.

The sound is increadable. It definately has a more noteable growl to it. And more then that it pulls like a pitbull on crack.
The turbo spools so much quicker now, and the low-end torque jumped up alot.
Only problem is when i mash it in second i have a tendancy to spin the tires now... Damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2001, 12:45   #2 (permalink)
anarchyx34

How much did it cost you to have this done?
Old 12-24-2001, 19:42   #3 (permalink)
Got Boost?

It cost me the price of a new head gasket set, and one new headbolt. And then just the grinding bits for the di-grinder.

its really quiet simple, all we did was gasket match, Did the work ourselves. We made our own polishing bit just using rapped up sand paper on a spool of some kind. It worked well.

While we were at it we also buffed the pistons a bit, and took off some of the sharp edges. Very effective, and at 12.5 PSI with all that extra air their is no hint of pre-ignition. And i have a weak fuel pump
Old 12-24-2001, 22:58   #4 (permalink)
anarchyx34

Interesting. So you didnt do a valve job or anything, just gasket matched the ports? How far in did you go? All the way to the valves? Was it hard to clean all the metal flakes out?
Old 12-25-2001, 15:35   #5 (permalink)
Got Boost?

I went as far in as I could with the di-grinder. It looks pretty complete. The metal shavings i just ran solvent through the ports, took a good 15-20 minutes cleaning it.

We didn't touch the valves at all, but not that i remember it we also took some of the imperfections out of the combustion chamber, All in all it was extremely worth it. The power increase is hugely noticeable.

it seems like the turbo spools up about 300-600 rpm quicker now
Its great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum