Hello from Ohio, engine knock ?, body kit - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2002, 11:27   #1 (permalink)
godoveryou

Hello from Ohio, engine knock ?, body kit

Hey, my first post over here, and from looking around, this looks like just the probe discussion area I've been looking for!

Here is the situation. 93 GT 2.5L Auto.... Well, I bought an auto car because from my hillbilly roots, I know that auto's yeild more constant et's.. a bit lower over all, but the consistancy was important. I was looking to get into the sport compact area, because I'm sick of seeig DSM cars, and Honda's getting all the attention and decided...why not a probe?

So, in my first 3 weeks of owership, I decide to begin to see where the car could go in the performance area, and began making some passes with the G-Tech for a baseline (not too many stipsare open herein the winter), and was holding the car out to about 7500 RPM between shifts, but alays experimenting trying to find tat just right Shift RPM the yeilded the best ET. Well, loks like those high RPM's took their toll, because now the engine has the knock from hell. So I took it into the dealership, and tey din't even boter to pull the valve cover... instead they told me I cracked a piston... This is a TAPPING noise, uneven, comng from the top of the motor, not a consistant knock. My guess is that they just didn't want to deal with it. My guess would hav been collapsed lifter, or or a lash adjust was needed. Do you guys have any creative input on that? I ask because I could just find a junkyard moto, but it would cost $1300 to have it in the car, and would prefer to use the current motor and save a few bucks if possible.

Secondly, who makes some of these really cool bodykits I see on webpags all over the place? The only one for sale I have been able to find is the Shogun kit, which while it looks cool, isn't me. Are their ay othe big manufactures making kits? Local appearance retailers have been no help, just shoving the Shogun kit down my throat.

Thanks guys,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2002, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
Honda Who?

Re: Hello from Ohio, engine knock ?, body kit

Quote:
Originally posted by godoveryou
Hey, my first post over here, and from looking around, this looks like just the probe discussion area I've been looking for!

Here is the situation. 93 GT 2.5L Auto.... Well, I bought an auto car because from my hillbilly roots, I know that auto's yeild more constant et's.. a bit lower over all, but the consistancy was important. I was looking to get into the sport compact area, because I'm sick of seeig DSM cars, and Honda's getting all the attention and decided...why not a probe?

So, in my first 3 weeks of owership, I decide to begin to see where the car could go in the performance area, and began making some passes with the G-Tech for a baseline (not too many stipsare open herein the winter), and was holding the car out to about 7500 RPM between shifts, but alays experimenting trying to find tat just right Shift RPM the yeilded the best ET. Well, loks like those high RPM's took their toll, because now the engine has the knock from hell. So I took it into the dealership, and tey din't even boter to pull the valve cover... instead they told me I cracked a piston... This is a TAPPING noise, uneven, comng from the top of the motor, not a consistant knock. My guess is that they just didn't want to deal with it. My guess would hav been collapsed lifter, or or a lash adjust was needed. Do you guys have any creative input on that? I ask because I could just find a junkyard moto, but it would cost $1300 to have it in the car, and would prefer to use the current motor and save a few bucks if possible.

Secondly, who makes some of these really cool bodykits I see on webpags all over the place? The only one for sale I have been able to find is the Shogun kit, which while it looks cool, isn't me. Are their ay othe big manufactures making kits? Local appearance retailers have been no help, just shoving the Shogun kit down my throat.

Thanks guys,
B
1.) join us at the Ohio Probes crew
2.) dont' manually shift your ATX, hence why it's a ATX, it shifts for you. ATX's normally redline everytime to start with, 7500 rpms is way past the powerband, ending at 6500.
3.) Do the IAT mod
4.) get a tranny cooler b/c you'll need it, trust me.

Never take your car to Ford to have them work on it, it's a Mazda motor, have them take care of it. Dont' know exactly what it could be, might be a piston from running the car too damn hard.

As for the bodykits, there are many such as Sinsei, Shogun, Ninja, FX, CW, Neo Blitz, etc. The shogun/ninja/Sinsei suck ass and dont' fit very good as opposed to the FX and CW that fit decent and look pretty good. I dont' know much about the Neo, they just came out, but I think they look alright.

http://noclss2000.tripod.com
Noclss2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 12:28   #3 (permalink)
KillerPGT

But Andys is supposed to be direct bolt in and im sure they are true to their word. Welcome to the Ohio Probes visit ProbeTalk for their own forum. Where in Ohio are you from?
Old 05-23-2002, 14:26   #4 (permalink)
Crazed Wodka Drinker

Andy's is a good kit. Do as Dan said. A Tranny cooler will help mighty. :)

too many fords!! heh
TakimanPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 14:29   #5 (permalink)
Crazed Wodka Drinker

Also, tapping sounds like a collapsed lifter and since finding the right one is next to impossible unless it's in really bad shape, replace is the next option but money spent will be around $1800. Do a Kerosene flush and run some synthetic oil. If it doesn't work, then think of replacing lifters yourself.

too many fords!! heh
TakimanPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum