home made cold air intakes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 14:34   #1 (permalink)
ProbeRacer93

roll home made cold air intakes?

thinking about doing some craaaazy things around here. ive been hearing some people talking about home made cold air intakes for their car. now what the hell? does that mean that someone is just gonna chill in their garage and make a cold air intake by hand in the comfort of their own home. hehe. sounds pretty cool to me if that's what's goin on out there to all of you probers. now how about any of you with HOMEMADE COLD AIR INTAKES drop me a few lines to tell me what it's all about. if it sounds worth the time and effort, i'll let it cross my mind, but i wanna get some more info on it before i do something stupid. hehe! DETAILED directions are always nice to get when you're doing something that you happen to know nothing about. so anyone with a home made air intake with directions... hook me up!

and always remember... drive it like you stole it! ha ha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2001, 14:37   #2 (permalink)
ProbeRacer93

oh... and what the hell is going on with probetalk??! does anyone know? because it's got alot more stuff on it, and it's pretty useful. just wondering, because i keep getting stupid error messages that i dont enjoy seeing... have a nice day
Old 12-20-2001, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
illpgt

Read

Okay, here is what I did for my intake:

1. Purchase a Ractive Heat shield filter from Summit or another automotive store.
2. Remove your factory snorkel air intake system.
3. Drill holes in the front section of the ractive heat shield.
4. Purchase a fernco rubber plumbing 90 degree elbow from your local Menards or Home Depot store.
5. Cut off one hub off the rubber elbow and connect the hubbed end that is connected to elbow to the ractive heat shield buy inserting it in the front section and attaching through the previously drilled holes.
6. Attach the ractive heat shield filter and fernco elbow to the vaf plunger and clamp down.
7. Attach a piece of pvc or aluminum pipe to the open end of the rubber elbow with a hose clamp and aim toward the square hole in the splash guard.
8. Attach the end of the pipe to the splash guard for stability using L shaped brackets.
9. make some angle or Z shaped brackets to stabilize the ractive filter and the vaf so it does not move in the engine bay.

Total cost around $65.00. Not bad compared to $100-200 for brand name intakes. That is what i did this spring for my 1994 probe Gt and I have had no problems with the intake system. I have driven through strong storms without worry and the intake makes an increased growling sound compared to stock. I was able to notice an increase in pull from 3000 rpms and up. Good luck on your intake, many others have made intake setups similar to this and have been happy with them.
Old 12-25-2001, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
TxPoc Moderator

Here's a pic of my homemade baby (don't look homemade do it?) I have ALOT of free time hehe. They don't make an aftermarket CAI for the 1st gen Probes so I figured why the hell not....

~G~
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yummy.jpg (87.6 KB, 360 views)
Old 12-28-2001, 11:00   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Cool Home made intake. I'm gonna make mine in a couple of weaks. I was just wondering do you notice a diference in performance?? from a cold air intake?? how many HP gain do you figure?? 2-3?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum