Ford Forums banner

how to take off shifter knob?

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  EatMoreCow 
G
#1 ·
hi, i'm new here, and i just got me a nice '93 Probe SE, REEED :)) i love it so much. it's my first car. :) i'm in Toronto, Ontario. and i'm really amazed that there exists a forum for ppl w/ probes! wow.

my question:
i wanna replace the shifter knob but i can't seem to figure out how to take it off! it's my first car, and i don't now much (read: at all) about cars. it doesn't wanna twist off. there's some kind of a nut, underneath the knob, but unscrewing it doesn't do anything.

anybody got any ideas? i'm pretty sure the shifter knob is stock, tho not 100% sure. it's black, round, plastic.

tx for your help.

vasilli

#2 ·
Defeintly sounds stock to me. If it is the stock knob, yes, you take it off by twisting it. It can be vert tigh sometimes, but you have to twist it counter-clockwise about a 1/2 million times. Simply put, it is threaded pretty small, so you will have to twist it for awhile. It will come off though if it is stock.

There is one extreme though, it might be stripped. If that is the case, you're gonna have to prbably just pull it off. I doubt that is the case though myself.

On a minor note, congratulations on picking a Probe! Great car, and welcome!

If you think this is something, go to www.probetalk.com It is NOTHING but Probes.

#4 ·
You should just be able to twist it off. Try pulling up a little too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.