how to take off shifter knob? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2002, 19:54   #1 (permalink)
vasilli

Question how to take off shifter knob?

hi, i'm new here, and i just got me a nice '93 Probe SE, REEED :)) i love it so much. it's my first car. :) i'm in Toronto, Ontario. and i'm really amazed that there exists a forum for ppl w/ probes! wow.

my question:
i wanna replace the shifter knob but i can't seem to figure out how to take it off! it's my first car, and i don't now much (read: at all) about cars. it doesn't wanna twist off. there's some kind of a nut, underneath the knob, but unscrewing it doesn't do anything.

anybody got any ideas? i'm pretty sure the shifter knob is stock, tho not 100% sure. it's black, round, plastic.

tx for your help.

vasilli
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2002, 03:11   #2 (permalink)
97 Probe SE

Defeintly sounds stock to me. If it is the stock knob, yes, you take it off by twisting it. It can be vert tigh sometimes, but you have to twist it counter-clockwise about a 1/2 million times. Simply put, it is threaded pretty small, so you will have to twist it for awhile. It will come off though if it is stock.

There is one extreme though, it might be stripped. If that is the case, you're gonna have to prbably just pull it off. I doubt that is the case though myself.

On a minor note, congratulations on picking a Probe! Great car, and welcome!

If you think this is something, go to www.probetalk.com It is NOTHING but Probes.
stavesacre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 06:32   #3 (permalink)

Yep, that sounds correct to me. Welcome to FF by the way. Enjoy your stay!
Old 04-25-2002, 14:54   #4 (permalink)
Big Balla'

You should just be able to twist it off. Try pulling up a little too.
1993 Rio Red PGT 5spd. w/ Greddy catback, PRM Jet Stream Intake, Random Technology High Flow Cat, PRD short throw shifter, Freedom Design FSTB, Road/Race Engineering RSTB, Addco Anti-sway bar, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, etc......
gtblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2002, 23:26   #5 (permalink)
Laser Red PGT

you un screw it
Old 04-30-2002, 23:50   #6 (permalink)
Big Balla'

yep
1993 Rio Red PGT 5spd. w/ Greddy catback, PRM Jet Stream Intake, Random Technology High Flow Cat, PRD short throw shifter, Freedom Design FSTB, Road/Race Engineering RSTB, Addco Anti-sway bar, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, etc......
gtblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 13:15   #7 (permalink)
Forgotten

The manual shifter knob screws off (counterclockwise, IIRC).

The automatic shift knob has a screw on the passenger side of the knob, and on the side that faces the stereo.
EatMoreCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum