Hp Mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2001, 12:00   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Hp Mods

What would you recommend for some horsepower mods, i remember seein 145 as the hp for my 92 lx, how wasily could i get it to two hundred or even more!!
suprdave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2001, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

It's very hard to mod the 3.0 to 200 horses without going with either Nitrous or a Supercharger or Turbocharger (no one has done the turbo yet)...

Thats the cheapest way to get to 200 hp.

You can get your 3.0 up to around 160-170 pretty easily however. Here's how:

Cat-Back exhaust = 5-8 hp
Cone Filter (preferably pulling in cold air) = 2-5 hp
Ported and Polished Intake Manifolds = 5-10 hp
Phenolic Spacer for your intake manifold = Cooler intake + 2-4 HP
Advance Timing = 1-3 hp

Those right there should net you a minimum of at least 160hp, and up to 175 hp if your car is tuned properly and running strong!

Now, take the 160-175 and add some nitrous (50-75 shot), or a supercharger and you'll be over 200 hp in no time.

Good luck, any questions just ask. These are just a few of the known mods for the 3.0L.

Marc

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Bufalo

My stock dyno run netted 125 HP at the wheels. Basic assumptions and calculations put that at about 142-145 at the crank.

With a CAI, 2.5" exhaust, superchip, and upgraded ignition, it pulled 142HP at the wheels. With the same simple calculations, that's 165-168 at the crank.

Crank numbers aside (they really mean dick anyway), with a few very basic upgrades I boosted the engine by 17HP. Your results may vary.

To pick up the next 30-40 HP to get it to 200 HP is going to require some innovative modifications.

I'm sorry for the randomness of this post, I'm just sort of thinking and typing at the same time.
Old 12-11-2001, 19:29   #4 (permalink)
Ford Member

So your saying go big spend the money and i will like the outcome
suprdave09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 22:23   #5 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

Well of course, the more money you have, the faster you go unless you are really good at finding your own parts, then it won't cost you as much of course.......

You can do whatever you want, if you have the money...... that's a really popular saying I've noticed around here... LOL.

With the basic modifications that Bufalo mentioned, it should cost around 400-500 bucks for that kind of a setup. That's not bad for 17 naturally aspirated horses......

Bufalo, did you dyno your car before and after the superchip?

Basically Bufalo's formula for 160-170 hp is about like mine (intake,exhaust), but instead of the port and polishing on my recipe he's got the superchip and ignition upgrades.........

Superchip and ignition upgrades are nice, but the port and polish in most cases is more affordable.. especially if you do it yourself (and know what you are doing)

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 10:45   #6 (permalink)
Probe Member

well as far as upgrades i would recommend doing the port and polishing of the upper and lower intake manifold, also port and polish the heads, both on the intake and exhaust ports, also get the ingnition upgrade, those seemed to make the greatest difference in my 3.0 oh get a straigth through muffler i noticed some improvement on the acceleration at freeway speeds just with that.

hey bufalo how much did you pay for the dyno run?
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum

Related Reading: Hp Mods