ignition coil or catalytic converter? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 03:23   #1 (permalink)

confused ignition coil or catalytic converter?

the other night i was driving on the highway and out of nowhere i lost power. not electronically, but i lost power when i pressed on the gas. the car started missing and backfiring lightly. i got off the next exit and at the stop sign, the car stalled. i easily started it again, but it idled VERY rough and still backfired lightly- and would stall again if i didn't maintain a little gas at stops. the car cranks and starts, and sometimes it'll run for a minute or two before it stalls. other times it will stall after just a few seconds of me not pushing the gas pedal.

i researched as much as i could and i'm having a hard time figuring out if it's the coil or the cat. converter.

some of the symptoms of a bad converter are present...i can hear a light "ping" under the driver's side when the car is running rough, which a friend told me is my cat converter rattling around.?

however, the symptoms of a bad ignition coil are very similar as well.

not sure which to start on-- is there a sure way to test failure in one or the other?

thanks in advance for any advice what so ever..
perry95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 11:17   #2 (permalink)

Re: ignition coil or catalytic converter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry95GT View Post
the other night i was driving on the highway and out of nowhere i lost power. not electronically, but i lost power when i pressed on the gas. the car started missing and backfiring lightly. i got off the next exit and at the stop sign, the car stalled. i easily started it again, but it idled VERY rough and still backfired lightly- and would stall again if i didn't maintain a little gas at stops. the car cranks and starts, and sometimes it'll run for a minute or two before it stalls. other times it will stall after just a few seconds of me not pushing the gas pedal.

i researched as much as i could and i'm having a hard time figuring out if it's the coil or the cat. converter.

some of the symptoms of a bad converter are present...i can hear a light "ping" under the driver's side when the car is running rough, which a friend told me is my cat converter rattling around.?

however, the symptoms of a bad ignition coil are very similar as well.

not sure which to start on-- is there a sure way to test failure in one or the other?

thanks in advance for any advice what so ever..
The symptoms of a bad catalytic converter are pretty obvious: do you smell the tall tale rotten egg smell whenever your car is running? Are you experiencing diminished fuel-mileage as of late? Is your check engine light on? Often times a bad catalytic converter could foul your o2 sensor as well, thereby triggering the check engine light to come on.

It could very well be your ignition coil as well. The ignition coil in the Probe is somewhat of a poorly designed unit and is prone to foul up in a relatively short amount of time. I've had to replace countless ignition coils for my customer's cars in the past decade or so and I can testify that it's about a $45 part at such OEM Ford parts sites as fordpartsgiant.com. Therefore replacing it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Keep us abreast on the situation!
BlueOvalMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:00   #3 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Re: ignition coil or catalytic converter?

If you rule out the coild I would check or replace the plug leads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum