Ford Forums banner

Need help with fog lights!!!

3K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  Stacy94PGT 
G
#1 ·
I'M sure all of you know that the stock foglights come on only when the pop up headlights are on. I know there is a way to tweak them so they will come on when only the corner lights are on. I desperatly want to know how to do this cause i think this will make my 95 probe gt stand out from others. If anyone knows how to do this can u plzzz tell me and i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks......

#2 ·
Info comes from the Ford Probe FAQ web site.

Equipment needed: phillips head ("plus-head") screwdriver, small wire cutter, electrical tape, small pliers, "U" contact electrical tap connector.

The electrical tap connector is a plastic device about 1" by 1". Get this wire from a car parts or electronics store. It allows a "tap" wire to be spliced to a "run" wire. The connector has two passages. One passage is open on one end, and closed on the other. This is for the tap wire. The other passage is for the run wire and is open on both ends. It should be configured for use with at least 16 to 20 gauge wire.

Precautions: Do this procedure with the key removed from the car's ignition. It may be a good idea to disconnect the cable from the battery's positive terminal (I did not do this though). Always document the work you have done so that it can be returned to original condition.

Directions:
1. Remove shift knob (has 1-2-3-4-5-R pattern on top) by unscrewing counter-clockwise.
2. Lift front end of plastic cover of center tunnel console by lifting gently but firmly from the front--you will need to use your finger tips to get between the gaps to get a good grip. This console cover is the plastic piece that surrounds the leather shift boot and parking brake and includes the ashtray. It is about 1 foot wide by 2 feet long. The back of this cover ends under the armrest/cupholder housing. Remember the cigarette lighter wiring is still attached to this plastic tunnel cover, so DO NOT FORCE this cover up too far. The cover is attached to the tunnel with some metal clips; make sure you don't lose these as the cover is lifted. Also, you may be able to maneuver the cover around the parking brake handle.

3. You should now see two screws at the bottom of the plastic frame that surrounds the front center vertical console. These two screws are below your equalizer, or if you don't have an equalizer, below the sunglass storage cubby. Remove the two screws.

4. Gently pull the plastic frame from the center vertical console, beginning at the bottom (where you removed the screws) and working your way up to the air vents. As before, this frame is attached to the dashboard using metal clips. Don't lose these clips as you pull the frame away. Also, don't pull the plastic frame too far; the five ('93 Probe GT's) or four ('94 Probe GT's) auxiliary buttons are attached to this plastic frame.

5. Locate the fog light button. On the back of this switch should be five wires of the following colors: orange, green/yellow stripe (solid green wire with yellow stripe), red/black stripe (solid red wire with black stripe), blue/red stripe (solid blue wire with red stripe) and black. The red/black stripe wire is the current input wire to the switch and will be our tap wire. The orange wire is the light which illuminates the button when the dash lights are operational. This will be our run wire.

6. Cut the red/black stripe wire about three inches from the switch. Tape closed the end of the newly cut wire that continues into the dashboard area. Leave open the end of the newly cut wire that attaches to the fog light button. This newly cut wire attached to the button is our tap wire.

7. Place the electrical tap connector around the orange wire about two inches away from the button. Insert the tap wire into the connector. Make sure the red/black stripe (tap wire) is in the passage that is closed on one end. The orange wire (run wire) should be in the passage that is open on both ends.

8. Close the connector and use a small pliers to squeeze the metal "U" tap into the wires. Secure the connection by closing the connector cover.

9. Make sure the are no wires with exposed metal.

10. Turn the fog light button off. The face of the button should be flush with all other auxiliary buttons.

11. Turn the headlight switch to the parking/running light position. Go outside the car and ensure that all parking lights are on, and that the fog lights and head lamps are off.

12. Push the fog light button on. Go outside the car and ensure that in addition to all parking lights, the fog lights are now on.

13. Turn the headlight switch to low-beam. Ensure that parking lights, head lamps and fog lights are now on.

14. Switch the fog lights off. Ensure that only parking lights and head lamps are now on.

15. Turn all lights off by switching the headlight switch to off.

16. Replace all metal clips to the plastic frame that holds the auxiliary buttons. Starting at the top (near the air vents) replace the center plastic frame by pushing the frame into the dashboard. Ensure that all wires are safely out of the way as the frame is closed.

17. Replace the two screws at the bottom of the center frame.

18. Replace all metal clips to the the plastic cover of center tunnel console. Starting at the back (near the armrest), push the cover down into place on top of the center tunnel. Make sure the leather shift boot goes over the shift lever.

19. Replace the shift knob by screwing it clockwise onto the shift lever. Hold the top of the leather shift boot so it does not twist as the shift knob is tightened. Make sure the knob ends up tight with the 1-2-3-4-5-R facing the correct way.

20. That's it!! If you followed the directions closely, the fog lights should now be operable whenever the parking/running lights are on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.