Noisy lifters? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2003, 02:43   #1 (permalink)
probin

Question Noisy lifters?

I have a 93 ford probe gt i bought it a few months ago and has 134,000miles on it and within the past few weeks a loud clicking noise has been comin from the center of my engine. I have asked a few friends and all of them say its the lifters and im sure it is it. I have tryed a few things to get them to quiet with no luck. I have used oil detregent and oil treatment they both helped some but not as much as liked. Is there anything else i can do with havin 2 rip my engine apart.

Thx...

Vash ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2003, 07:12   #2 (permalink)

Re: Noisy lifters?

What kind of motor oil are you using ? BTW, the KL03 engine is famous for this.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 09:06   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

I used an oil additive to help quieten a noisy lifter in my mustang. I went to my local parts shop and asked for some "lifter free" additive.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:14   #4 (permalink)

Have you just installed the proverbial "Orange Turd" oil filter. Fram oil filters are notorious for reducing the oil pressure enough to cause lifter noise on cold startups. NAPA Gold (Wix), Purolator, and Motorcraft are about the best oil filters out there. I can post a review of almost all the oil filters out there if anyone's interested.

If that's not your problem, your valves may need to be adjusted (if they're adjustable). The rattling could be the rockers tapping the top of the valve stems. They can make a lot of noise when they need to be adjusted.
Full 3" stainless Bassani Exhaust
32" BFG's/stock suspension

"No replacement for displacement."

"Our lugnuts require more torque than most Honda's produce!"
'92BigBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:15   #5 (permalink)

Actually the most common cause for tapping on these model of Probes are built up sludge.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2003, 00:05   #6 (permalink)
probin

Well, Today i also but in Lifter Quieter, it help about as much as the other stuff, But on that oil filter that could be it, I got a fram filter in there so i guess ill look into that, as from the type of oil the brand has slipped my mind but its high milage 40 10 i think o well

THx Alot
Old 08-25-2003, 02:48   #7 (permalink)
Old Skool Member

There is only quick remedys that will solve this problem. If you really want it fixed you'll have to replace your lifters. They can go like this for a LONG time however, and it's nothing that I would be TOO concerned with, although the problem will not go away on it's own. You can temporarily fix it with some Marvel Mystery Oil, it will quiet the lifters some but like I said it's just a band aid..

1989 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II 13B-T "FC3S"
Turbo RWD Rotary Powa!
Vulcan Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum

« Help! | Shift Boot »