Which oil is best for Probes? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2004, 18:56   #1 (permalink)

Which oil is best for Probes?

I've just recently purchased my 94 Probe (Australia) 2.5 V6 version (which I love to bits) & want to know what oil people have found to get the best longevity from the engine. It's done 95,000k's to date. I've seen comments made saying full synthetic significantly reduced some engine life so I'm confused. Any feedback appreciated.
azdysb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 20:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: Which oil is best for Probes?

I have just over 170k on my 93 and the entire time I've been using 10w30 since I owned the car at 90k miles. If the car has not seen synthetic yet, no need to switch over.

Stay away from Pennzoil oil if possible. Keep on the oil changes. I like Valvoline's max life for engines with over 75k miles on them.
Old 06-22-2004, 21:00   #3 (permalink)
XR8 & Ford Probe owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdysb
I've just recently purchased my 94 Probe (Australia) 2.5 V6 version (which I love to bits) & want to know what oil people have found to get the best longevity from the engine. It's done 95,000k's to date. I've seen comments made saying full synthetic significantly reduced some engine life so I'm confused. Any feedback appreciated.
Do your self a favour before you go to the semi synth oil or full synth give the old girl a "Kero Flush" for the procedures and info go to http://forums.probetalk.com
in the search engine put KERO FLUSH and have fun
I did mine about 5 months ago it is now as quiet as a mouse no more HLA noise at start up.
Personally I run PENRITE HRP 5 with a genuine Mazda Oil filter they are probably the best on the market for the Probe and do a change every 5000kms with out fail I tried the M1 , did not like it one bit and for the cost of it it $60+ can stay on the shelf.
Old 06-23-2004, 19:29   #4 (permalink)

cool Re: Which oil is best for Probes?

Thanks guys for your responses...I really appreciate it. Yes I read about the Kero flush last night & it sounds interesting & produces the results. (Knock on wood) my Probe seems to be running very quiet at the moment so I'd probably hold off until I thought something isn't as it should be (e.g. the burning of oil which others have suggested). Anyway again thanks and I'll stay in touch.
Old 08-02-2004, 00:53   #5 (permalink)

Had a major service done & my mechanic suggested fully synthetic for these babies. I'm happy to go with that as it's a small price to pay for the frequency in which it will be changed. Mind you I don't do a lot of kilometres so every 5,000k's will only crop up every 6 months or so.
Old 08-03-2004, 23:42   #6 (permalink)
Australian Probe Member

Always used Mobil 1 never a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum