painted interior pieces.. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2001, 09:24   #1 (permalink)
ProbeRacer93

roll painted interior pieces..

whats up people. i was wondering if i should paint some of my interior pieces or just let them sit as the normal black and greyness look. if any of you have pictures of painted interior pieces, throw some links back at me so i can check 'em out and see what it's all about. also, which ones should i paint if i do decide to paint them? how do i do it, how long does it take, and is it a pain in my a$$? just a few thoughts, thanks for your help. later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2001, 12:38   #2 (permalink)
Big Balla'

I don't have any pics but I can tell you it looks ALOT better on the inside after you paint some pieces. I painted the driver side and passenger side window/lock controllers, The covers on the other side of the side view mirrors (they look like triangles), the big center piece that goes around the stereo, heater/AC controls, etc.. I also repainted the maroon stripe that goes from one door to the other. I chose to paint the stuff the same color as my exterior. I also painted a few coats on the inside of the dome light so that it is like a red blacklight. You got to be sure that you do a good job on it or else the paint will come off and look crappy. Its not hard to do.
1. Choose the color you want
2. Using masking tape, cover up any parts that you don't want to
be painted (like the window and lock buttons).
3. Clean the piece very good with paint thinner that has MINERAL
SPIRITS in it. Clean it GOOD.
4. Spray on a light layer and let it dry.
5. Spray on another EVENLY sprayed layer. Let it dry for about
10-15 minutes.
6. Continue putting on layers. I used about 6 layers and they
look great.
1993 Rio Red PGT 5spd. w/ Greddy catback, PRM Jet Stream Intake, Random Technology High Flow Cat, PRD short throw shifter, Freedom Design FSTB, Road/Race Engineering RSTB, Addco Anti-sway bar, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, etc......
gtblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 12:50   #3 (permalink)
Probe Member

I have some pictures of my painted interior pieces, I posted instructions on PT, but if you want to know how to paint them right just ask me, mine is great, and has been perfect for almost 8 months now. Its chrome colored, people thinks its tight, I have been paid to do other peoples cars too by the way.
1993 Base Probe, Black, Grey Int., Black Tint, GT Wheels, J-Spec Cam, Cold Air Intake, Maxspeed Exhaust, Testpipe, Custom Chrome Finished Int. Trim Pieces, Pioneer 650 Watt 7 Speaker System, Eibach Springs, Blue Int. Neons.....(Body Kit Coming Soon)
justwakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
Forgotten

Re: painted interior pieces..

Quote:
Originally posted by ProbeRacer93
. i was wondering if i should paint some of my interior pieces or just let them sit as the normal black and greyness look.

To paint the piece, remove it, wash it off with soap & water (to remove any dust & protectant that'll keep the paint from sticking).
Head to Walmart and pick up some primer, a top coat, and some clear coat.
Primer the piece with a few thin layers of primer, let dry, then a few layers of top coat.
After both of those are dry, then spray some clear coat on them, and be done with it.

If you use several thin coats, the paint will stick better, won't run, and won't chip easily.

You can also sand off the texture on the pieces that you decide to paint.
Just depends on what kind of look you're going for.
Old 07-13-2002, 23:04   #5 (permalink)
PGTwannabe

paint

what would you use to paint the pieces ?? someone above said to spray it ... spray the piece using what??

or do it by hand with a tool?
Old 07-14-2002, 21:08   #6 (permalink)

I think they're talking about paint that comes in a spray can.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2002, 06:32   #7 (permalink)
Probe Member

Interior

I replied to your email 94pgtwannabe

But to everybody else, make sure you take the dash APART and then pait then using spray can paint and then a really good clear gloss, I am have done this on myany cars, and all of them stil look good 2 yrs and counting.
1993 Base Probe, Black, Grey Int., Black Tint, GT Wheels, J-Spec Cam, Cold Air Intake, Maxspeed Exhaust, Testpipe, Custom Chrome Finished Int. Trim Pieces, Pioneer 650 Watt 7 Speaker System, Eibach Springs, Blue Int. Neons.....(Body Kit Coming Soon)
justwakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum