Parts and Diag Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 19:20   #1 (permalink)
strtmknx

Parts and Diag Issues

So, I have a 95 Probe SE(2.0, 5spd).
Since getting it, I parted over the fenders and hood from a 93 I had for parts as well as the P/S pump(my EngSpdSensitive Steering was drawing nearly all boost out at high RPM and dumping it back in making it dangerous to corner in low gears at mid-high speeds).
I have also built a CAI(minus RAM tubing and heat shield) and installed an MSD coil with hi-temp coiled 8mm wires and plat plugs.

It's not much, I know. Aside from money, I can't seem to find AM Perf parts for this and it's nowhere near ready for machining(money and time lacking).

Here's where I am having problems:

When the A/C or heat is engaged, it makes an ALMOST electronic or high-pitched/speed clicking even though both are working.

When I engage the clutch pedal, I get a chirping(pretty sure this is a bearing issue, but please correct me).

This is the one that is driving me crazy. It started with when I would make an S-turn less than 30ft at speeds over 25mph. On the second half, it seemed like it would become fuel starved if I tried to mash the accelerator coming out. This would last for about 2 seconds then it would surge forward if I still had the pedal in.
This slowly began happening on single turns over 25mph and now it seems like it happens anytime I don't stop before making a turn more than 45 degrees at any speed over 15mph.

I've had two possibilities brought to me.
Wiring: I don't think this is it. Unless the wire that is grounding is somehow swinging more easily into a grounded section, it doesn't make sense for the progressive increase of this instance.

Fuel filter/lines: This seems feasible, if enough sediment or impurities had gotten through the pump screen and stuck in or near the filter, it could happen. This would have to be not enough to restrict flow without significant G's to force the sediment to build against the flow.

What seems to me the most likely is excessive sediment in the tank. This would allow for smooth operation when not suddenly forcing a change in fuel position but sudden movement would force this buildup to lay over the pump screen and block flow for a few moments until it is washed away as the fuel settles.

I have no idea and really don't want to blindly start pulling apart the fuel system without a reserve vehicle on hand.

Any ideas on this or ways to determine this that are low-impact and time-consuming would be welcome.

The other issue I am having it finding parts, especially performance, for this engine.

Clutch kits, drum-disc conversion, ECM, distributor, calipers, internals, and headers are my main concerns. I can't seem to find any of this for a N/A 2.0 which makes me wonder how the turboed 2.0s are modding to improve performance in conjunction with the turbo.

I would be concerned with the exhaust, but I plan on running a straight pipe(after I see if I need to retain some if any backpressure) that I build myself. I have a guy that takes care of the inspection issues for me through creative paperwork, so I'm not worried about that in any way.

Ultimately, I would love to have high end internals(crank, bearings, rods, pistons/rings, cams, valves) opened ports and shaving the walls as far as I can, a performance ECM, if there are options for injectors, that would be awesome, etc.

Basically, what can you do with these engines and where do you find the performance parts that are out there for it, both bolt on and internal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2012, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
strtmknx

Re: Parts and Diag Issues

Well, now screw everything else. Today, enough pressure built under the head and valve cover to push my Cyl2 plug boot up and out and to pop off my oil cap. Looking down into the plug chamber, the seal is pushed up. For some reason, enough pressure built in that cylinder to pop the seal and let the pressure out that way.

I guess all I can do is yank the head off and see if any valves are sticking.

Has anyone ever heard of these doing this? This is the second SE I've had do this. The last one melted the plug boot and wouldn't start.

This one starts and runs, but it pushes the boot out and it seems to simultaneously developed a bad battery cell or the alternator is going out because the charge meter now reads low.

Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum