Problem: losing RPMs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2001, 07:33   #1 (permalink)
Ranger Member

Problem: losing RPMs

Greetings folks!

My '96 2.3L 5-speed loses RPMs while cruising at highway speeds (and even sometimes when just riding around on surface streets in town). If I press the accelorator down to the floor, sometimes the RPMs will come back, sometimes it'll take a minute or two for it to kick back in and resume speed. I've taken it to a mechanic I trust and he told me that there was a small leak somewhere deep inside the engine that would be nearly impossible to find. I've already had the serpintine belt replaced (a little over 1 yr ago), new EGR valve, etc etc etc.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this and maybe how to fix it?

Thanks.
kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2001, 09:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problem: losing RPMs

Quote:
Originally posted by kiki
Greetings folks!

My '96 2.3L 5-speed

I've already had the serpintine belt replaced (a little over 1 yr ago)

Thanks.

Since this is in the base/se section, dont you mean 2.0L?

Serpintine belt? Maybe I dont know enough about our cars...but Ive never heard of this.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:58   #3 (permalink)
97 Probe SE

Do you mean that when you are in gear you lose RPM's, or when you are in neutal? I've heard of some funny problems with Probe's before, but that would be a first!

If you are losing RPM's, does it go from like 2500 to 500 in a very short time, or is it more like when you brake in gear, and the RPM's slowly are going down? I'm just trying to get a grasp of what you are saying that your Probe is doing.

Oh yes, and also, just as Nylie said, um, do you mean a a 1996 SE/Base, or a 1996 GT?

If you have a 2.5 liter 24v V-6, it's a GT
If you have a 2.0 liter 16v I-4, it a Base/SE

Even if you have a GT, I'm sure that many of us here in this forumm would be more then willing to help you out!
stavesacre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 12:55   #4 (permalink)

Also, do you have a Manual or Automatic?
Old 09-01-2001, 21:53   #5 (permalink)
Ranger Member

You are correct...it is a 2...(I was half asleep this morning when I posted that...:>)...anyway...

The problem is when it is in gear...it is a 5 speed Manual transmission...I'll be going along just fine between 2500 and 2800 RPM when it will drop (sometimes suddenly, sometimes gradually) down to between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Doesn't sound like a drastic drop, but when you're on the highway and you suddenly slow down it can be a little unnerving.

This problem doesn't only occur on the highway though. It sometimes happens when driving on city streets. When it does this on the city streets most times it will jerk/lunge/lurch until you get enough momentum to change gears.
Old 09-01-2001, 22:56   #6 (permalink)
97 Probe SE

Read Could be the A/C

Do you have A/C in your probe?

Let me tell you a "set-back" that I noticed after I had my '97 SE for awhile. I don't have CC, so whenever I travel on highway, I have to have a steady foot (duh). Anyway, I don't have a problem with that, but I noticed after awhile that when I turned the A/C on, I would be going down the highway doing about 65, and then the next time I look down at the speedometer I'm down to 60, and then I would re-adjust my foot to get back up to a steady 65.......only to have it KICK in and then before I know it, I'm up to about 70 or so. At first I thought something was severly wrong, but after I went to our local Ford dealership, they cleared things up.

The reason that they gave me was that because a Probe is only a 4 cylinder and only has about 120-125 HP, it has to give something when teh A/C compresser kicks in. They said that in vehicles with more Horsepower, it's not near as noticable because there is MORE HP to use. However, with the Probe, since it only has about 120 HP to begin with, whenever the A/C compressor kicks in, it draws a good 10-15 HP from the engine, and then when it turn off, you gain that HP back. I thought it was a little annoying at first, but I eventually readjusted.

HOWEVER, if you don't have A/C, I believe that I just wasted about 10 mintues of you life. If that's the case, I'll bet your asking "Why is it that everytime I adhear to your inconsistant rambling you insist on retiring to an advancment of intelectual retardation?"

Hope this helps, because I know it sure was something I would have liked to have known when I first got my Probe.

Has anyone else out there ever had the same problem before? Just wondering......
stavesacre21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 23:00   #7 (permalink)

I dont use my AC much, but I do notice the few times during the year I use it, it will suck power. Im really not sure whats causing your problem Kiki. You may want to go into the GT section and ask them....Im just not sure and Id hate to give you misinformation.
Old 09-01-2001, 23:37   #8 (permalink)
OKPOC - OKC Chapter Prez

this is freaky weird....

I've NEVER heard of this exact problem, but it sounds a lot like a fault in the electrical system somewhere....

You may either need a new disty cap, rotor, or entire distributor... or maybe all 3...

After replacing all those, and you still have a problem?? I would have no clue... but it sure sounds electrical to me....good luck. :tup:
Old 09-01-2001, 23:43   #9 (permalink)
Ranger Member

The car acts this way:

1) with the cruise control on;
2) with the cruise control off;
3) with the AC on;
4) with the AC off.

In other words...it does it whenever it feels like it. I like to think that I have a pretty steady foot on the pedal, but it's getting to the point that I'm thinking about trading the thing in on something totally different.
Old 09-02-2001, 00:20   #10 (permalink)
mwild8

confused

ok im a gt guy but your talking some weird ****e!

is it boggin down when the rpms drop?

or is your guage just droping with no loss of performance?......

if hes talking about a crack then hes saying your losing compression.
depending on the two questions ttt it sounds electrical. have you done stuff to it to screw anything up? ive learned on my car that its very touchy in some areas when it comes to electrical.

do your ligths dim when this happens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum