Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2001, 17:26   #1 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Question--New Ground Effects Kits Interest?

I've got a friend (ok, in-law) who's looking for something to do with his platics/composites shop. How much interest is there in new Probe parts? I'm thinking new ground effects kits, perhaps come interior dress-up parts.

From what I've read, some of the currently available stuff isn't anymore, and quality is iffy. So help me convince him to make stuff for our cars, brainstorm!

(Yes, I posted this over in Buy-Sell too--missed this section, oops)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2001, 21:59   #2 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

Thumbs up

If your friend (in-law) decides to do this Im sure he wont regret it. The biggest problem owning a probe is that aftermarket products are very rare. Theres a market for Probe products, and a great need for body kits. Up until about 6 months ago, there was only 4 body kits (xenon-discontinued, erebuni-shogun, fx designs and sinsei) and just recently we got 3 more front ends (cw or what?, corksport lip, and MC Rallying - only 5 in the country imported from England).
A lot of people would buy a good looking body kit if the quality was good too. Hell if it looks good we will buy it, no matter what. When the sinsei kit came out, we liked the way it looked and bought them unseen. Some of us have already waited over 8 months after we paid and we still didnt get our kits. That show how fanatic probe owners are. Just get your friend to design a nice kit, make it good quality for the long run and he will make $$$$$...

P.S.: If you need any info on the kits that are available now for the Probe, lemme know and Ill try to help you. I think I even have a good idea for a front end, I got pics...
Old 06-14-2001, 22:08   #3 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

Also a carbon-fiber and aluminum looking interior kit for the center console, vents and the trim around the gauges would be a good idea too. Im painting these parts right now and preparing everything (wet-sanding, cleaning, primer, paint, clean coat) takes forever. If there was a kit I would have probably bought that for a more professional look.

You may also want to think about M3 mirrors, they are very popular now! Noone made these for us until recently. These improve the looks of most cars, and they look awesome on the probe. I bought a pair from someone on the other board who had them from the manufacturer, and they do not fit. I have already, redrilled the holes for the bolts, cut the base of the mirrors a number of times and they still just wont fit... Make them non-power, and it should be easy to mass-produce them.

Any questions, or anything I can help email me!
Old 06-14-2001, 22:14   #4 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

I will put a copy of this in the Probe Club Forum so more people see it. Come on guys we need some support in here!!!!!!!!!! Ideas please...
Old 06-14-2001, 22:15   #5 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProbeBandit
[B]Also a carbon-fiber and aluminum looking interior kit for the center console, vents and the trim around the gauges would be a good idea too. Im painting these parts right now and preparing everything (wet-sanding, cleaning, primer, paint, clean coat) takes forever. If there was a kit I would have probably bought that for a more professional look.
Funny you should suggest that, I thought the same thing after looking at the Speedhut gagues today.

Quote:
You may also want to think about M3 mirrors, they are very popular now! Noone made these for us until recently. These improve the looks of most cars, and they look awesome on the probe. I bought a pair from someone on the other board who had them from the manufacturer, and they do not fit. I have already, redrilled the holes for the bolts, cut the base of the mirrors a number of times and they still just wont fit... Make them non-power, and it should be easy to mass-produce them.
Not sure if he can do that, but I'll throw out the suggestion.

So far as ideas, throw them! Personally I like the stock nose and will probably leave it (except for some proto tests--I think I'm gonna get real good at removing that bumper:rolleyes: )

So far as quality, I expect it will be quite good, we're both perfectionists.
Old 06-14-2001, 22:33   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, when the Sensei kit came out. They didn't realize the demand they would get from it. A lot of orders came in for it, they were not prepared at all, lots of backorders. The kits look so good but the craftsmanship is awful.:(

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2001, 22:39   #7 (permalink)
ProbeBandit

Thumbs down

Yeah, the crafrtmanship is VERY BAD, but thats not the worst thing about it: they still have my $1200 and I still dont have my kit after 8 months. The only thing that came in is the hood, and mine wasnt even that bad, but after I looked at it, I called FX Designs and placed an order for a combat kit. Now Im waiting for a sinsei kit AND an FX... :rolleyes:
Old 06-15-2001, 16:46   #8 (permalink)
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.

I know that I would like to see some new side skirts. The Shogun and FX look too similiar, and forget about Sinsei. A new rear bumper would be nice too, again Erebuni's is ugly, and Sinsei's is crap.
QuadCam_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2001, 18:11   #9 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Thanks for the input. I'll pass the suggestions along.

If (when) this gets rolling, it will be mainly a one-man shop with some part-time help (myself & his bro), so there's likely to be a little lead time, BUT we'll do our best to make sure things fit right--I don't really want low quality stuff associated with my name.

We're thinking about starting our with a simple lip for the front (kind of like the Corksport idea), and maybe a wing or two. I'll run the idea of some interior dess-up parts by him. I'm thinking the center console bezels--the pieces around the radio & HVAC controls, and the one around the shifter & parking brake; also maybe the gauge surround (my concept is to finish off the pod when the SpeedHut carbon-look overlay is used). :thumbup: ? :thumbdown: ?
Old 06-15-2001, 19:12   #10 (permalink)
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.

gets a :thumbup: from me, my silver looks good, but something more professional would be better.
QuadCam_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum