Quick Question on Changing the Belts....... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2001, 10:37   #1 (permalink)
metallica39311

roll Quick Question on Changing the Belts.......

I have already posted this in the Tech forum, thought i would get a better respons here......
I am getting ready to chang my belts soon.... they are really squeking and they need to be replaced, heres my question (there are a few of them)

1. What needs to be taken off inorder to replace them
2. What belts do i need, like whats the name for both of them.
3. Should i go ahead and replace the bearings or whatever they are called (the things the belts rid on.??
4. If so what is the name for them and where to get them.
5. Last but not least is it worth doing it my self and how much time am i expection to use? or should i just take it to a shop and have them do it??

Thanx to whoever replies, i appriciate the help, i just need some info on how to do it before i do it... and i am pretty mechanically inclined... if that helps any :)

danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2001, 19:15   #2 (permalink)
Probe GT Member

you can replace the ac/alt belt without taking anything off.
i dont mess with the timing, so you might need to ask someone else.
alternator/air conditioning belt, and timing belt.
3. Should i go ahead and replace the bearings or whatever they are called (the things the belts rid on.??
the "tentioners" are a common probe problem.
if they start sqeeking, you need to have them replaced. the bearings seize, and it no longer moves. The ac/alt tentioner is a peice of cake, just loosen the bold, slip the belt off, then unscrew, etc.
i have no idea about the timing
you can get them thru ford or mazda, but they wont be cheap. Autozone should have the right size, just bring the old belts in.
5. Last but not least is it worth doing it my self and how much time am i expection to use? or should i just take it to a shop and have them do it??

the alt/ac belts and tentioners are easy. if youve changed a tire on a car, you should have no problems..
now the timing belt is pretty hard. you have to make sure that you know the exact place you removed the belt from. If i were you id take it in. I paid $250 (i bought everything, they installed it)
to have the timing belt changed and tentioner replaced.
If you are thinking of taking it in, i would have them do it all at one time. you might not save much money, but a little is better then nothing. also have them check the water pump while there down there. this is another common problem.
Drew00629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 07:44   #3 (permalink)
metallica39311

Quote:
Originally posted by Drew00629
you can replace the ac/alt belt without taking anything off.
i dont mess with the timing, so you might need to ask someone else.
alternator/air conditioning belt, and timing belt.
the "tentioners" are a common probe problem.
if they start sqeeking, you need to have them replaced. the bearings seize, and it no longer moves. The ac/alt tentioner is a peice of cake, just loosen the bold, slip the belt off, then unscrew, etc.
i have no idea about the timing
you can get them thru ford or mazda, but they wont be cheap. Autozone should have the right size, just bring the old belts in.

the alt/ac belts and tentioners are easy. if youve changed a tire on a car, you should have no problems..
now the timing belt is pretty hard. you have to make sure that you know the exact place you removed the belt from. If i were you id take it in. I paid $250 (i bought everything, they installed it)
to have the timing belt changed and tentioner replaced.
If you are thinking of taking it in, i would have them do it all at one time. you might not save much money, but a little is better then nothing. also have them check the water pump while there down there. this is another common problem.
Hey thanx man, i will give it a shot sometime next weekend, and i am not doing the timing belt :) that just seems like it is too hard... and i dont have to take any hoses off or anything to get to the belts?? i can just go in from the side wheel well right?? and i would probably need a breaker bar for the tentioners right... thanx for you time and help man, if i run into any problems i will let you know... thanx,

danny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum