Standard VS. Automatic - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2001, 18:50   #1 (permalink)
Mini Tempo Member

Read Standard VS. Automatic

I am thinking about purchasing a '93-'94 Probe GT. I don't know how to drive a standard yet. I plan on putting performance parts and upgrading it alot, so which is better. Are standards all that much better, or will an automatic be just as good?
LittleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2001, 16:01   #2 (permalink)
Just some guy...

If your ultimate goal is to get power from it then you should go with an MTX. Learn how to drive a stick first. And depending on which clutch you use to replace the old one will also be a learning experience. Most standars are better performance wise. The ATX's are somewhat slower unless you change the torque convertor and some other things, so I've heard.
Old 08-13-2001, 23:35   #3 (permalink)

This reminds me of my frist Probe. Back in 1990 I bought a PGL with a 5-speed. I didn't know how to drive a stick. I left out of the parking lot of the Ford dealership in the middle of rush hour. After four days I felt like I'd driven a stick all my life. On the 2en gen Probe your much better off with a 5 speed. Good luck in your search.

My next Ford.....
Stacy94PGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 17:58   #4 (permalink)
SCPOC/Probe GT Member

Yep trial by fire seems to be the preferred way. I learned by commuting to work through rush hour--took a week and like Stacy said, I felt like I'd been driving stick for a long time.

For us control freaks, there's no way but manual.
Old 08-14-2001, 19:25   #5 (permalink)
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.

well (as usual) Im gonna be the one to stand up here and say that driving an ATX is not the hell that most people think. I love my ATX a lot, especially in traffic. I've raced MTXs, won some, lost some (without the ZE). If your big into drag racing, and plan on making some serious power, an ATX might be advantageous: easier launches, and consistent shifts. If you do get an ATX, prepare for a lot of bashing from MTXers (although not here as much as other sites, thank God), but you become an elite member of the A-Team. Looking at the facts however, the MTX is about a second faster in the 1/4, and I know that driving one can be fun, its really up to you.

ps- ATXs can be just as fast as a 5 spd GT with a simple ugrade from level ten (www.levelten.com). A high performance Torque Converter will match you up to a 5 spd
QuadCam_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2001, 19:34   #6 (permalink)
Just some guy...

Can you squeal your wheels from 1st through 3rd in an ATX? :D I didn't mean to bash ATX's. I've had them and they are great especially in traffic.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:55   #7 (permalink)
mwild8

there is a mod for the atxs.

the IAT mod is very effective!
if you do get the auto do this!

/

<A HREF="http://rogue.bucks.edu/~0257335/IAT">IATMOD</A>
Old 08-17-2001, 07:28   #8 (permalink)
Mr. ATX Pimp - Mod.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gil Starr
Can you squeal your wheels from 1st through 3rd in an ATX? :D I didn't mean to bash ATX's. I've had them and they are great especially in traffic.
the 1-2 I can, not the 2-3...yet. Mike can though
QuadCam_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 09:50   #9 (permalink)
Just some guy...

Quote:
Originally posted by QuadCam_GT

the 1-2 I can, not the 2-3...yet. Mike can though
That's good to know becasue I'm going to be buying an ATX for my wife. I tried to talk her into an MTX:p but she doesn't want to deal with it in L.A. traffic.
Old 08-17-2001, 11:17   #10 (permalink)
PT Owner - SCPOC Prez

hmm. atx vs mtx?

well, for the 2g probe, i would never buy an atx, regardless of the circumstances. just not fun to deal with.

my girl has a 1g atx and hers isn't too bad. i like the manual shift button that's on the car. pretty cool shifting with it and she is pretty good at it. it was a PITA getting it repaired when it gave up the ghost though.

my 93pgt has been rock-solid in terms of the motor and tranny since i bought it. never a problem, save the usual maintenance. replaced the stock clutch with an ACT and even though the pedal is much stiffer, i like it a lot.

now, i've owned both an auto and manual '66 mustang. bang for buck, it's easiest to deal with the manual. they're lighter, easier to tear down and replace. if i wanted no-nonsense shifting, i would use the c4 it came with. all i had to do with mine was install a new torque converter and a cooler (along with some valve body tricking), and i was smoking rubber easily, even when manually shifting it. i couldn't get all the torque transfer though. don't know why. i've actually lifted the front end off the ground with my manual pony though. same engine as the auto too. go figure.

oh, unlike some, i actually HAVE been driving a stick all of my life. first thing i learned how to drive back when i was 12. that and a motorcycle. :D
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum