starting trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2002, 18:44   #1 (permalink)

starting trouble

Hi i started a thread a while back about my car not starting, and it was helpful, but now i am in the same situation. When i turn the key is just clicks once, and the engine doesn't try to turn over. The battery is fine, tested that. I don't really know where to go next. I got to the starter and cleaned the spade connection and it started right up but now it is a no go again. Just not sure what the problem is or the best way to go about diagnosing it. Any input would be helpful, thanks
TIHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2002, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
Probe Member

Do you have a manual trans?

You may need to clean the trans clutch/neutral safety connectors. There was a post about it on PT that I think alfie posted about. If nothing else, contact him and ask him where the wires are. They are probably on the front of the trans in a white piece of plastic covering them, but I could be wrong as I've never really investigated it all that much, but I did remove that connection when I took my trans out.

You may also want to try cleaning your starter off again.

I will from time-to-time get my car to act like the starter killer is on when I try to turn it over. Nothing happens, but the electrical all comes on. I try it again and it starts up. Until it stops totally, I'm not gonna mess with it. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2002, 21:22   #3 (permalink)
turbo PGLer

The manual trans clutch swith is under the dash, up on top of the clutch pedal assembly, just follow it up from the pedal to the top of the shaft-thingy. I didn't think of this earlier, probably should have, though. Check for loose wires, etc.
The one on the trans you are thinking of, it doesn't have anything to do with the starting circuit, it's a sensor for the ECU to tell it when the tranny is in neutral, so the ECU can predict ahead of time when it should idle (such as coming on a red light), there is also another sensor on the clutch for this same reason-it has 4 pins, the one for the starter only has 2. I hope this helps at least a little.
If this doesn't help, I can tell you where ever connector for the starting circuit is, and you can check them all
gxt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2002, 22:35   #4 (permalink)

Actually i have an automatic transmission. Do you think it could be a faulty solenoid?
TIHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2002, 13:54   #5 (permalink)

I was just about to say a faulty selenoid. I'v been having the same problems as you and i toled you to clean the starter. Claning my starter worked for me for about 5 months, and for you it looks like it only worked for a bit. Just a weak ago my starter jus craped out and was doing the same thing you are describing. I took the starter out and tested it out of my car and found that the selenoid was faulty. Sometimes it would turn over and sometimes it wouldint when i hooked it up strait to the batery using booster cables :). So i went and bought a new starter, and no more starter problems.

Take your starter to a shop and have them test it, or test it your self its easy. if you email me at raf2379@nucleus.com i'll tell you exactly how you can test the starter, its very simple.

but yah i had a faulty selenoid and no body sales repair kits for the starter not even the selenoid part. So i had to buy a new starter, it was only $120 CDN
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum