Summer/Winter Wire on Fuse Box & Head Gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum Forum for discussion of the Ford Probe and Mazda MX6.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2007, 23:50   #1 (permalink)

Summer/Winter Wire on Fuse Box & Head Gasket

I didn't have an owners manual in this 92 GL I got so I can't check on it but what is the wire on the fuse box that goes to either a position marked Winter or Summer? Does this do anything for timing when it's in the Winter position?

It's got the 2.2L I4 motor and 5 spd tranny, and I have to replace the head gasket (@ 225k miles). Is there any thing to look out for? I've replace a few in my time so I know what I'm in for but wouldn't mind hearing about any tips. It looks fairly simple to get in there.

Also, are the head bolts torque to yield for this model? The manual I have shows about 60 ft pounds (or 50 to 60, I can't remember) but it doesn't mention an extra quarter turn or 60 to 80 degrees to stretch like other engine models/years I've read about so I'm thinking they aren't TTY.

Thanks for the help.
-Ian
IanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 20:14   #2 (permalink)

Re: Summer/Winter Wire on Fuse Box & Head Gasket

Well I did the head/intake/exhause gaskets, and found out I have a small crack in the head (after the fact) and since I don't have money for a new head I opted to try KW Block Sealer before calling the auto salvagers. The white steam stopped billowing out of the tail pipe and the radiator stopped bubbling over after the initial application. I ran one more can just for good measure, and it ran for 40 minutes without overheating. I have to wait 24 hours for it to dry before putting coolant in, but it looks promising.

On another note, I did find (with a lot of Googling) that the wire at the fuse box labeled winter/summer is for the windshield wipers. If the connector is in the 'Winter' position, the wipers will rest on the windshield to prevent the blades from getting stuck in ice. If the connector is in the 'Summer' position, the wipers will come to rest below the windshield line where they belong.

Interesting.
IanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Probe Forum | Mazda MX6 Forum